My First Real Drill Press - 1940's Walker Turner 15" Bench DP

Forgot to update the thread... Factory switch wired.

Cable routed.jpeg

I continue to search for the reduction assembly setup but the ones that I find are stupid expensive... Maybe I need to add it to the list of projects. And give it a try making one.

Speed reduction assembly.jpg

Last edited:
Really nice restoration. You don't often find one with the table and base in pristine condition like that. Still Looking for my forever drill press. Something with a geared head and power down feed, but my old Craftsman still does the job, and I have a WT floor model that was gifted to me that is in line for rehab which I will probably give to my son. Maybe I can get you to come up to CO and help me catch up on my backlog. ;) Cheers, Mike

PS: You might be able to retro fit pulleys from a later model Craftsman or other brand.

Really nice restoration. You don't often find one with the table and base in pristine condition like that. Still Looking for my forever drill press. Something with a geared head and power down feed, but my old Craftsman still does the job, and I have a WT floor model that was gifted to me that is in line for rehab which I will probably give to my son. Maybe I can get you to come up to CO and help me catch up on my backlog. ;) Cheers, Mike

PS: You might be able to retro fit pulleys from a later model Craftsman or other brand.

Would have loved to have found a Walker-Turner floor model!! I still go into Craigslist and FB Marketplace to see if something shows up locally. I don't need another drill press... but that never stops me for looking for something else I do not need...

On the drill press, I ordered two belts (4L280). I think that I might have a 4 step pulley from when I was searching for one for the Delta wood lathe... I got a couple thinking they were the correct ones only to find out that was not the case. Was only able to figure it out when they got here and I could compare them to the original unit. So I need to pull those out from a cabinet somewhere in my garage, and compare them.

Here is a photo from the one restored in the video I shared in the first page of this thread. Since this was taken, the owner replaced the belts for the correct 1/2" width ones, 4L280.

1705943448214.png

I missed out on a belt cover as well... they were asking 200.00 for it. This was a couple of years ago. I should have spent the money on that... oh well...

Belt cover.jpg

Here, take a look at the prices being asked for the two accessories that I want:

495.00 for the step down assembly: Walker Turner Multiple Slow Speed Pulley Attachment - I am optimistic that I can make this. Just need to get some measurements from someone that has one.

and another 300.00 for a damaged/repaired Walker Turner 15” 900 Drill Press Head Lift w/ Optional Hand Wheel - no way that I can make this...

Again, I do not need these accessories. Drill press is working just fine as it is. And I have a floor drill press as well... These are just accessories that I would love to have for the WT...

wow, that's crazy money. I'll be selling my WT900 floor standing drill press this summer, comes with free slow speed attachment :) Not sure what shipping would cost from TX to FL though.

Back