My First Real Drill Press - 1940's Walker Turner 15" Bench DP

This is cleaning up great! Very nice.

Thank you.

Finished installing the missing 1"x4"x15"

IMG_2671.jpeg

Interesting... I thought all levers were polished... the one that adjust the table height, is painted...

IMG_2673.jpeg

Oh, and yes, I used it to drill the holes for the piece of wood that was missing... This drill press feels solid. Not in the photo, but next to it, there is a Skill floor drill press... that one, even if bigger, feels like using a toy when compared to this one.

I will call this one done for now... Whenever the matching spray paint (Rust Oleum Sage Green) is back in stock, I will get a few cans and paint to match the light and the spindle top cover.

Last edited:
So found some sage green at ACE and painted the lamp shade...

IMG_2684.jpeg

Flash! Ah ah! Saviour of the Universe!

IMG_2682.jpeg

Definitely not a match to the factory color...

I knew I could not stay away from painting this old drill press... Specially after repairing and painting the grinder...

C3E071CB-2A6D-479A-BD11-39ABAB7D4426.jpeg

So last night I took it all apart, cleaned it again, painted to match the grinder (anvil gray), sprayed the motor with a quick coat of semi-gloss black, and assembled it all back together and applied some way oil on the unpainted surfaces. Went to bed around 1:30AM, but it is done...

I did used the old scotch brite pad I got with the tools, to go over the spindle and column lock handles again, did the same with the bolts... much better results, but the pad is old and breaking apart quickly. I want to take out the spindle handle and go over each of the four rods as well... that will pretty much eat up what is left from that wheel... I need to order a new one.

IMG_3598.jpeg

Here are photos of the final product:

ACD03A14-5D7E-4986-996B-CA95DEB63407.jpeg

7AF58AFA-05C3-4DDF-AC86-111E2EEF8277.jpeg

CD79AECA-0FB0-4AAB-BC6D-0FB6D6CC4E61.jpeg

IMG_3603.jpeg

Last edited:
wow, that's a beauty! Whenever I see pics like that I get the idea to do the same to my WT900, then I think about all the other projects that need my attention and forget about it again :)

I said I was not going to do it... that it was a stupid expense to pay more than I paid for the drill for that silly switch housing... but gave in...

IMG_3886.jpeg

Decided to remove the paint to put another coat of black paint on it... but got carried away and took it to the buffing wheel... I might paint it later (still think it looks better in black), but for now, polished finish it is. And yes, also took the time to do the locking handles while I was there...

IMG_3893.jpeg

Only thing left to do is to wire this sucker...

Back