My First Real Drill Press - 1940's Walker Turner 15" Bench DP

Belt arrived as well. Also installed.

IMG_2639.jpeg

IMG_2638.jpeg

and while I find a better lamp setup (really want a gooseneck lamp), I changed the bulb for one of those rubber LED bulbs...

IMG_2640.jpeg

IMG_2641.jpeg

@mattthemuppet2 Very nice!! Thank you for sharing. So many ideas just from those two photos!

You converted to variable speed. Nice. And I can see where you installed the pickup and magnet for the RPM display... Sweet.

Digital caliper on the quill. Cool.

And I see you have the additional pulley for speed reduction.

What are the pulleys in the column for? Lowering and raising the table?

I am finding that the accessories are difficult to find... and the ones I have found, are just ridiculous expensive... 100.00 for a switch housing, 300-450 for the belt cover... 300.00 for that additional pulley setup.

Love that gooseneck lamp... I have a lamp, not on a gooseneck, and it is also missing the lamp shade on mine... need to search for one.

yep, DC treadmill motor, best thing ever on a drill press IMO. I can drill, chamfer and tap without having to change the belt position.

The low speed pulley set up is fairly rare and as you've found, really expensive. For yours I'd invest in a 1/2hp 3 phase motor and VFD instead :)

The pulleys on the column are for a table counterweight. You can just see the dog food cans attached to the wires on the left. Each is ~2/3 full of lead poured in, plus the odd random wheel weight stuffed in top whenever I find one. Makes a bit difference raising the table with that XY vise on it.

The lamp is what was on it when I found the DP in the "throw out pile" outside the uni machine shop. The socket was broken, so I made an alu insert with an LED.

yep, DC treadmill motor, best thing ever on a drill press IMO. I can drill, chamfer and tap without having to change the belt position.

The low speed pulley set up is fairly rare and as you've found, really expensive. For yours I'd invest in a 1/2hp 3 phase motor and VFD instead :)

The pulleys on the column are for a table counterweight. You can just see the dog food cans attached to the wires on the left. Each is ~2/3 full of lead poured in, plus the odd random wheel weight stuffed in top whenever I find one. Makes a bit difference raising the table with that XY vise on it.

The lamp is what was on it when I found the DP in the "throw out pile" outside the uni machine shop. The socket was broken, so I made an alu insert with an LED.

For counterweight! Ahh... Never would have thought of that.

On the VFD, I will hold off on any modifications for now... I just can't add one more projects to the list :D:D

I did find a gooseneck lamp on Amazon that I can adapt to the DP... I will paint it and that will be it.

lamp.jpg

Stopped by loves and got a different LED bulb in preparation for the new lamp. Could not resist, so painted it from white to that gray you see in the photo... silly since it will be inside the lamp, but hey... lol. Looking at the photo, I probably could have left it just like that...

IMG_2643.jpeg

Missing the original switch... And the belt cover. Owner told me that he does not recall ever having a belt cover. Looking at the catalog from 1940, not clear if that was an option or not...

Guards were optional items on many old machines. They were available for schools and such that wanted them, but not sold with machines for buyers who would just pull them off and toss them in a corner. Think of the time saved by workers not having to remove a guard to change speeds. Finding the guards for old machines can be hard because there were often far fewer sold than the number of machines made.

OSHA didn't come into existence until 1970.

Neat drill press.

Took it apart to better clean the column... used the lathe to turn the column while I clean it... Got much better results than when trying to clean it in place...

IMG_2646.jpeg

Looking under the base I can see the original color...

IMG_2648.jpeg

And just dropping this in degreaser, got it back to its original color... There seems to be a shortage of spray paint... could not find Rust Oleum Sage Green anywhere... Apparently that is a good match to the factory color. Wanted some to do the top spindle cover that lost all of its paint...

Anyway, got it all back assembled...

IMG_2650.jpeg

Gooseneck lamp also arrived... changed the color from white to a gray. I installed it where the 3rd pulley mounts...

IMG_2654.jpeg

Covered the cable with some abrasive and flame retardant sleeve...

IMG_2655.jpeg

IMG_2656.jpeg

Done!

IMG_2657.jpeg

Wait What??!?!??!

Did you actually power on the lathe with the entire column in the four-jaw chuck with no support? (tail-stock centre or steady rest)

if so ..... you are still a live, right?

I see so many ways that that could go so bad so quickly!!!

Perhaps you only used sandpaper/scotchbrite by hand on it that still looks like a huge risk to me!!!!!

If you actually touched with a lathe tool than you are very lucky.

Please be safe!
-brino

Wait What??!?!??!

Did you actually power on the lathe with the entire column in the four-jaw chuck with no support? (tail-stock centre or steady rest)

if so ..... you are still a live, right?

I see so many ways that that could go so bad so quickly!!!

Perhaps you only used sandpaper/scotchbrite by hand on it that still looks like a huge risk to me!!!!!

If you actually touched with a lathe tool than you are very lucky.

Please be safe!
-brino

I made a support for the end, yes. Switched the lathe to its lowest speed as well.

I used the 3-jaw chuck.

I was cleaning it with scotch-brite and sandpaper... all by hand.

Not scary at all... No pets or children were harmed during this task :D

Last edited:
A few more photos I forgot to add... Also removed the lock pins for the spindle and column...

IMG_2661.jpeg

IMG_2662.jpeg

IMG_2663.jpeg

After degreasing and cleaning...

IMG_2664.jpeg

Nice and clean. Lubed them as well...

IMG_2665.jpeg

IMG_2666.jpeg

IMG_2670.jpeg

Last edited:
Back