My New To Me Craftsman Lathe 101.28980 (pic Heavy)

Thumbnail pics take to long to open on this site, I gave one of your pics 4 min to open then gave up
Are you resizing them to 600x 800 would help. Quit a few folks here don't try to open small pics .
Don't know why just this site thumbnail pics no good
Should be a good lathe once you get the probs worked out.

Oh dam ill look into that now

Thumbnail pics take to long to open on this site, I gave one of your pics 4 min to open then gave up
Are you resizing them to 600x 800 would help. Quit a few folks here don't try to open small pics .
Don't know why just this site thumbnail pics no good
Should be a good lathe once you get the probs worked out.

should i resize them or do full picture option? the full picture option might take a second to load on slower internet speeds

OK I'm seriously jealous. I'm just across the river from you in NJ and I picked up a QCGB 42 about 8 months ago. Repaired the gear box which was frozen with dried up grease no internal damage on mine. The lathe was missing the Tailstock (no problem as I found a replacement quickly).

What makes me jealous is yours is up and running mine went into storage 2 months after I got it working when I sold the house and am waiting for my new construction house to be finished. Currently working towards a 2/26 settlement date. Then I have to fit out the basement shop.

should i resize them or do full picture option? the full picture option might take a second to load on slower internet speeds
I don't have a bit of problem with your pics. The thumbnails open in about a second and the larger pics zoom in and out instantly with a click.
HWF

OK I'm seriously jealous. I'm just across the river from you in NJ and I picked up a QCGB 42 about 8 months ago. Repaired the gear box which was frozen with dried up grease no internal damage on mine. The lathe was missing the Tailstock (no problem as I found a replacement quickly).

What makes me jealous is yours is up and running mine went into storage 2 months after I got it working when I sold the house and am waiting for my new construction house to be finished. Currently working towards a 2/26 settlement date. Then I have to fit out the basement shop.

hahaha mine needed some love ive had it for about 2 weeks. just waiting for parts. im literally waiting for one more gear. dam this snow.

Nice find! No issues with pictures once I logged in. They went from the small thumbnails to a full column width size & are clickable to HUGE SIZE!!! LOL. It looks like you have 2 flat belts? Wild. I was also looking at the spindle speed chart & it looks like there are 4 diameters shown & only 3 fitted. It'll be interesting to see what you figure out.
Thanks for sharing,
Jon

Nice find! No issues with pictures once I logged in. They went from the small thumbnails to a full column width size & are clickable to HUGE SIZE!!! LOL. It looks like you have 2 flat belts? Wild. I was also looking at the spindle speed chart & it looks like there are 4 diameters shown & only 3 fitted. It'll be interesting to see what you figure out.
Thanks for sharing,
Jon

Good catch! the belts are 2 v-belts and the pulley changes are done in the cabinet the two belts run down into the cabinet. a nice feature of having the cabinet model.

The thumbnails open quickly for me, too.

On the spindle belts, no. They are (or were originally) two A42 multiple V-belts. About the same cross section as a 4L but intended for applications having more than one belt.

Strangely, although the bench model had a single V-belt drive to the headstock, the underdrive model used two - a design that can often lead to trouble when worn or unmatched belts are used. If your 12-inch underdrive suffers from a noisy headstock, vibration or a poor finish on turned work, look first at the final drive to the headstock spindle and check (by putting a chalk line across them and running the lathe) that the two belts are exactly the same length. A solution - and one that saves having to dismantle the headstock and countershaft to replace the belts - is to use a modern T-link type.

found some info awhile back on the bench model heres the site and above is straight from that site.
http://www.lathes.co.uk/craftsman/page4.html

The "Multiple V-Belt and Sheave" belts cost a bit more than the common Light Duty or Fractional Horsepower belts. But are more closely matched. I later came to assume that the reason for having two belts on the final spindle drive was because of the increased difficulty of changing the belts. I've owned a 3996 for about 35 years. Sometime during the first year that I had it, I notice that the right hand belt was fraying badly on the right side. So badly that I had to cut it out. A little later (I was in the middle of a project when I did the cutting), I figured out that the factory had installed the bed too far to the right so that the right hand belt was running against the right edge of the rectangular hole through the oil pan. And that the dual second counter shaft pulley couldn't be aligned with the spindle pulley both because the pulley set screw would have been off the end of the shaft and the right belt would be rubbing the edge of the hole. So I moved the dual pulley to the left almost as far as it would go and put the one remaining belt in the left groove of the spindle pulley and right groove of the counter shaft pulley. It has been running that way for about 34 years, now.

Some of you here already know my opinion of link belts so I won't repeat it.

Back