My New To Me Craftsman Lathe 101.28980 (pic Heavy)

Whooo,Hooo!.....I just picked up my "new to me" 3996. Bought it on Craigs List and can't say I got a super-duper deal but I think it was a fair price. $1500.00 included 3 jawand 4 jaw chucks, steady rest, follow rest, qc tool post and 5 holders (Emco), Milling attachment, collets w/draw bar, three drill chucks for the tail stock and some tools. There is also a bunch of stuff I may be able to use a trade items or what ever that do not fit the machine.
Right now I'm replacing a few sq. head screws, the tail stock lock, carriage lock and the missing name tag. Just small bits to be sure but I'd like to restore it as best I can.
Wish me luck!

Whooo,Hooo!.....I just picked up my "new to me" 3996. Bought it on Craigs List and can't say I got a super-duper deal but I think it was a fair price. $1500.00 included 3 jawand 4 jaw chucks, steady rest, follow rest, qc tool post and 5 holders (Emco), Milling attachment, collets w/draw bar, three drill chucks for the tail stock and some tools. There is also a bunch of stuff I may be able to use a trade items or what ever that do not fit the machine.
Right now I'm replacing a few sq. head screws, the tail stock lock, carriage lock and the missing name tag. Just small bits to be sure but I'd like to restore it as best I can.
Wish me luck!

thats a good deal. start a thread upload some pics!

So time for an update. I have been busy with work but i finally got some time to get to the garage and get her up and running. heres a few pics of how it turned 3 inch stainless steel. figured id test it out :) sorry if their sideways 20160216_184911.jpg 20160201_192823.jpg 20160201_175922.jpg 20160201_191556.jpg

Nice! I think you got a decent bargain. Let's say you were to have paid $700 for the lathe, all those accouterments (chucks, steady rest, milling attachment, etc) would have set you back another grand at FleaBay prices, at least.

Facing off that 3" SS: Looks good. Did you then check with a good machinist's square to verify square to side and flat all the way across?

I have learned to use a steady for anything that sticks out more than 3x the diameter, even for facing.

If you find the faced end is not flat but has a slight concave or slight convex curve (low or high in the middle), check that the cross-slide gib screws are just snug enough to remove all wiggle, check that the carriage gib screws at the back are also snug, just enough to remove any carriage wiggle but not tight. Face off again. If there is still a curve re-adjust the carriage gib screws to change the attitude of the carriage in relation to the spindle axis. To save on test cuts you can set a dial indicator on the cross slide or tool post and indicate on the face of the chuck or known flat plate mounted on the spindle or chuck and with the motor switched off manually run the cross slide checking the results on the indicator then adjusting the carriage gib screws accordingly.

Spiral_Chips

So time for an update. I have been busy with work but i finally got some time to get to the garage and get her up and running. heres a few pics of how it turned 3 inch stainless steel. figured id test it out :) sorry if their sideways View attachment 122449 View attachment 122450 View attachment 122452 View attachment 122453

Wisrianni,
I noticed in your earlier photos that the motor pulley looked to be incorrect. It is supposed to be a 2 step pulley. Did you replace it? I found the same "repair" was done on mine and it cost me $90.00 from Clausing. I figured the correct pulley was needed or you only have an 8 speed lathe instead of 16. Just curious how you approached the issue.

I have noticed the same rotation viewing problem elsewhere. Apparently some incompatibility factor has crept into some of the myriad of editors. I use Irfanview as a standard or reference. If it says that a photo is sideways, I know some browsers and other viewers will, too. I first ran into this problem with one of the later Nikon editors.

Nice! I think you got a decent bargain. Let's say you were to have paid $700 for the lathe, all those accouterments (chucks, steady rest, milling attachment, etc) would have set you back another grand at FleaBay prices, at least.

Facing off that 3" SS: Looks good. Did you then check with a good machinist's square to verify square to side and flat all the way across?

I have learned to use a steady for anything that sticks out more than 3x the diameter, even for facing.

If you find the faced end is not flat but has a slight concave or slight convex curve (low or high in the middle), check that the cross-slide gib screws are just snug enough to remove all wiggle, check that the carriage gib screws at the back are also snug, just enough to remove any carriage wiggle but not tight. Face off again. If there is still a curve re-adjust the carriage gib screws to change the attitude of the carriage in relation to the spindle axis. To save on test cuts you can set a dial indicator on the cross slide or tool post and indicate on the face of the chuck or known flat plate mounted on the spindle or chuck and with the motor switched off manually run the cross slide checking the results on the indicator then adjusting the carriage gib screws accordingly.

Spiral_Chips

wow didnt even see the notifications
yes it ended up being cupped. and i started using the carraige lock and adjusted the gibs on the ways. they were loose btw thanks for the tips!!

Wisrianni,
I noticed in your earlier photos that the motor pulley looked to be incorrect. It is supposed to be a 2 step pulley. Did you replace it? I found the same "repair" was done on mine and it cost me $90.00 from Clausing. I figured the correct pulley was needed or you only have an 8 speed lathe instead of 16. Just curious how you approached the issue.

thats correct i only have half the speeds :/ . the lathe came that way, i was going to attempt to make my own pulley in the near future.

Back