Need advice on rebuilding bellows on die filer.

O

ome

Forum Guest
Register Today
Hi everyone,
Has anyone have advice on how to rebuild bellows?
I bought a neoprene boot with the seam held together with velcro. More like a wetsuit material.
I wanted more of a rubber boot, for bike shock covers, to fit in as bellows.
Once i cut down the middle, I do not know how to "weld" rubber back together.
Any ideas would be helpful.
The original fit over two round plates at top and bottom of mechanism that reciprocates up an down.
There must have been a groove in rubber bellows to keep it on.
Thanks,
Jon

Hi everyone,
Has anyone have advice on how to rebuild bellows?
I bought a neoprene boot with the seam held together with velcro. More like a wetsuit material.
I wanted more of a rubber boot, for bike shock covers, to fit in as bellows.
Once i cut down the middle, I do not know how to "weld" rubber back together.
Any ideas would be helpful.
The original fit over two round plates at top and bottom of mechanism that reciprocates up an down.
There must have been a groove in rubber bellows to keep it on.
Thanks,
Jon

Jon, I have used super glue to "weld" rubber back together as in O-rings and it works well.

Good luck

David

Jon, if it is neoprene rubber then "black magic" cement is the bees knees.

Cheers Phil

I've just received my filer and was wondering about the petrified bellows and how to replace it, and PRESTO CHANGE O, this thread pops up.
It this a great place or what?

I've just received my filer and was wondering about the petrified bellows and how to replace it, and PRESTO CHANGE O, this thread pops up.
It this a great place or what?
Absolutely! So far McMaster-Carr by far has the largest selection of types and sizes. Some have a flange at both or one end and some have a cuff at one or both ends. They do not include the metal clamps for the cuffed bellows.
Good Luck!

My bellows are still there,just rigid and ripping along the folds. It comes off today and I will measure the sizes of the OD,ID and take a guess as to the length. All the attaching hardware is there so if anyone needs pics and sizes,I will take time to preserve the info. McMaster-Carr will get an order this afternoon.

The bellows is 3/4 ID and 1 3/8 OD. Mine is flange mounted onto the gear box and between two flanges on the 1/2" square rod. I ordered a foot length of 3/4 x 1 5/8 from McMaster-Carr, I matched the ID as the most important consideration.The OD is a not critical dimension as there is abundant room for a larger OD under the table. I'm thinking I have enough to do 3-4 of these bellows out of 12 inches of material.
There is not a drain plug on this gear box and draining the oil is a PITA. I am thinking about a quick drill and tap for an 1/8" a short nipple
and a plug. This will assure that I never have to drain it again........if I don't add the hole I'll be emptying it next week.
BTW, the inside of the gear case look pristine and very clean. The old bellows must have just hardened with age. No real residue or trash/cuttings in the bottom of the case.
There is a vent hole on the upper rear of the box and it is used as a blower to clear cuttings from your work. This machines hole was holding a sheared off brass fitting and a pencil plugging the hole. I will fit a proper stainless tubing fitting with 1/4" tubing and add a flexible oil spout to it to clear the scribed lines on my work. Too easy to do it now while it's down.

While waiting for the bellows material I drilled a hole in the casting for a drain plug. SUPRIZE!!!! The main gear box is aluminum. Easy to drill, will add teflon tape to 1/8th" pipe to keep leakage down. Pipe,collar and bull plug to finish.......This machine had no roller on the overarm so today while at the play house I build one with a bearing and some brass pressed on the outside to save the file teeth. Yep, I forgot the pics.....Tomorrow.......I promise.

Update, I ordered the bellows material from McMaster-Carr and it finally arrived after being captured in the Ga. ice storm.
It is Part# 95655K12 3/4"ID x 1 5/8" OD. I installed it this morning and it fits like a glove. You have to buy a foot of it and you need 5". I cut it in half and it works great. The blower function was fouled up too so I added a piece of SS 1/4" tubing and an oil spout to direct the air to the proper location to blow filings away from the scribed lines. It works as planned and I am a smiling guy. Live is good. Pictures tomorrow.....

Back