New 5C Collet Chuck for My PM1340GT

ptrotter

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I just added a Bison Set-Tru 5C Collet Chuck to my PM1340GT. As some have noted in past threads, the included key is a pain as it takes many revolutions to pull in the collet. Having seen MKSJ's post where he built a speed key for his chuck, I decided to do something similar. I purchased an HHIP Quickie Vise Handle on AMazon and added a piece of stainless hex bar that I turned down and milled to match the chuck. This significantly speeds up the process of drawing in the collet. If I need more torque than I can get using the short handle, I can put wrench directly on the hex bar.

IMG_2344 (1).jpg
IMG_2343 (1).jpg

I just added a Bison Set-Tru 5C Collet Chuck to my PM1340GT. As some have noted in past threads, the included key is a pain as it takes many revolutions to pull in the collet. Having seen MKSJ's post where he built a speed key for his chuck, I decided to do something similar. I purchased an HHIP Quickie Vise Handle on AMazon and added a piece of stainless hex bar that I turned down and milled to match the chuck. This significantly speeds up the process of drawing in the collet. If I need more torque than I can get using the short handle, I can put wrench directly on the hex bar.

View attachment 311775View attachment 311776

Good idea. I need to make something like that. As you mentioned it just takes forever with a standard T wrench.

If you were to make a version of that where the handle is hinged and perhaps held upright with a detent, you could fold it out to the side for more leverage when you need it. then you don't need another wrench.

If you were to make a version of that where the handle is hinged and perhaps held upright with a detent, you could fold it out to the side for more leverage when you need it. then you don't need another wrench.

True, but this only took a short time to make.

Also true, but I was showing off my dazzling brilliance. :laughing:

I use the Gibraltar version with the middle hex, it gives the same leverage as the T handle. The ideal speed handle would be the Gibraltar style with a rotating handle. Had thought of drilling out the handle and making a new rotating handle, might be a nice turning project. I wouldn't want any more leverage on the 5C collet than could be exerted with a T handle. The key to good holding is using the proper sized collet and cleaning the clamping area/part of oil.

20180201_093621.jpg

Back