New 5C Collet Chuck for My PM1340GT

Very nice, Paul. I like like your (and Mark's) designs and plan to build one.

In the interim, I will have to live with my poor man's solution which was to gut the spring from the self-ejecting key that came with my chuck, grasp the safety collar with my left hand and spin the key with my right index finger. 33 revolutions later, the part is sprung and the collet can be removed.

Self Ejecting Chuck Key Parts.jpg

The non-ejecting self-ejecting whirling chuck key.
Self Ejecting Chuck Key.jpg

I use the Gibraltar version with the middle hex, it gives the same leverage as the T handle. The ideal speed handle would be the Gibraltar style with a rotating handle. Had thought of drilling out the handle and making a new rotating handle, might be a nice turning project. I wouldn't want any more leverage on the 5C collet than could be exerted with a T handle. The key to good holding is using the proper sized collet and cleaning the clamping area/part of oil.

View attachment 312036

Mark,

The same company that makes the handle I used also makes a double one with a rotating handle. I may pick one up on Amazon. Also, I was a little off on milling the flats on the key so I may try again. It is good practice for me. Since I don't yet have a decent mill, I used my little Sherline mill for the flats. Worked out quite will.

Paul

Back