New Addition To The Family

kennyv

Registered
Registered
New addition to the family . Vert and Horiz Band saw used and seasoned.

Juts got back from picking up my belated fathers day gift … Its Not a Jet what as I was expecting , but still got a good deal . I was going to be a new HF 4.5 for fathers day ended up doin quick search on craigs list and found this one . Its Rong Fong 4x 5 vice opens up to 6-1/2 not bad it operates in 45' and 90' . That I didnt expect on this particular model . That was the one reason I was floored and bragged last week when he said it was Jet sorry guys. Ohh but I did get a free pipe vice out of the deal

Anyways its all good.. Picked it up locally from an old machinist. The stand needs some beefin up blade guides need to be adjusted and a new set of wheels but other than that cuts like a charm. He put a new motor on it has a good bi metal blade .Eventho I want to dig in right now and put a pull handle belt shoud Ill prob fix er up when I get round to it as I still havent finished my bench project yet . She is going to be parked right in front of bench and gets wheeled out when I need the room. As my bike will be parked 4' from it no chances one or the other goes outside. If its raining ill use the saw with my hat ....

DSCF0849.JPG DSCF0850.JPG DSCF0851.JPG DSCF0852.JPG DSCF0853.JPG

That looks like a very useful machine.:encourage:
Congrats!
-brino

I called my band saw a HF one till I read the label and it also is a RungFu was a freebe and has been working for many years. I use a spray mist on the blade while cutting and they last a long time

DSCF0725.JPG DSCF0878.JPG DSCF0884.JPG

“Shees erected” now I have room for my new addition without loosing floor space for my band saw. Now just enough room for my new lathe when it arrives. I came up with this crazy idea to build a two tier bench which will accommodate bench machines while each will still being functional. In addition I have gained two upper shelves to store some power tools ect... well guess it worked. This was also to make room for band saw when it arrived. And open up floor space . I got the shelves for free but what a biach..... lota drilling and there were no brackets or hardware.

The other reason was bc I had to down a shelf and move my fridge to other side of shop when I placed in my new mill > so far its all working out . Here some pics of the old bench and now the new bench in place. Next is to slim line my disc sander with new table , and make a slider for the buffer/ wire wheel . Finish building the carbide tool grinder and drum sander . After that I will most likely fabricate a grinding fixture table . But who knows what will come up in between so not necessary all in that order . Things are shaping up in the garage perhaps soon I can make something .

Shop time with dad tonight we didn't tackle the R8 collet wrack cuz he wasn’t focused, However we did do a little exercise with measuring with a caliper. I took a bushing drew a simple sketch handied him the bushing . Showed him large diam small diam , inside diam, minor diameter. Shoulder length and over all length. I had Joel measure bushing and write corresponding sizes. than we moved on to take the Band saw apart . Well that's about it than he went to bed and i fig out the new supports for mounting the new wheels . He took pics and i found a a short clip on camera …... got a love it kid is smart didn't know camera makes short clips .
Ohh im overhauling the band saw replacing all the hardware reinforcing legs , making supports and new wheels.

Do you think I should go all the way and strip it / paint it or lave it original color ? JMHO once I clean up machine surfaces, Kroil it , Grease it and power wash it its will look fine ?

DSCF0889.JPG DSCF0890.JPG DSCF0898.JPG DSCF0897.JPG DSCF0899.JPG DSCF0900.JPG

Made my decision last night after taken her apart ..... she is getting the RR treatment
Here is my parts list to fix er up . Cost me 9 bucks for the wheels, 7 something for the paint.

L+R inside/ outside Wheel shaft supports
have bushings and hardware
made a SS handle and inside/outside / support .
Alum hand wheel SS Crank for vise (laying around)

Paint im goin with Gona go with RUST-OLEUM Forged Hammered Grey. As far as paint couldn't find anything close to Orig but this is a good fit . Will match everything in shop . I will be painting my fridge and hardware cabinet metallic oil bronze was gona paint the saw to match it . However after thought I changed my mind Cuz I wanted to keep the gloss black knobs and blade cover, and blade guides black so all the fixings and trim work will stay black and the body & legs of machine will be the Forged Hammered Grey. She's getting stripped tomorrow DSCF0850.JPG DSCF0903.JPG DSCF0906.JPG

Last edited:
That's going to be a nice saw when you get it done! :encourage:

While you have it apart you should put in the hydraulic instead of the spring. and make a big upgrade to it. I have not done it but one of the members did it to his HF saw and it worked great. He posted a complete how to as well which you could adapt to this one. But it is going to look great like this when you are done.

I would like to see if you have link .. also I have one Q does the hydraulic pump act as a slow down feed with adjustment ( for Cutting )? or is for open close only ?
Cuz saw operates perfect now ..if I can add wright to it and use a hydraulic pump than great id love to do that too.
But like to o see idea don't need dwgs or dimensions ill fig that stuff out. Hey I may even have a few hydraulic pumps else I will INVEST in a new one lol . Ez find at an Auto part store. Iff it will work for cutting not just open close than im very interested.

I think I am changing color scheme again.... but its 2 fold reason For #1 return paint to spend money else where . (hydraulic pump) . lol Yes there is a method to my madness what I was thinking was using the same metallic oil bronze for the table that needs the touching up. And only paint only lower leg section that I will be beefing up modifying . Forgot to mention I will be adding 4x4 matching leg profile... to the inside of the leg bases ... so that too will be same color. And what im gona do is make a mount on front face a drill press vice ( for keeping center weight more stable when saw in vertical position. What my though was instead of a free weight idea im gona add a vice hanger . Hang a DP vice I was thinking 2 fold reasons . Also would use it for doing Horiz cuts for slitting .... Practical , and useful all in one... Beside sI have a BRANDEY NEW unopened in a box Palmgren 8" Vice to use on my Drill press .. That chepo drill vice is perfect to hack up modiphy ect...

DSCF0909.JPG DSCF0910.JPG

Last edited:
Kenny, I think there is some clarification needed here, the posters above are suggesting a hydraulic cylinder, rather than a hydraulic pump (actually and air cylinder with light oil in it) and then you control the down feed with a flow control.

There are a number of different ways to install a feed cylinder on a saw, the most common way on your saw is to put the cylinder in place of the spring. A 1 1/2 inch cylinder is more that adequate for your saw. About $40 new.

m_a24040dn.jpg

This is the way I set mine up. Just a scrap air cylinder I got for free, some plastic air line tubing I had on the shelf, a few other bits and pieces, and a hydraulic flow control that I actually had to buy. That was a mistake, I should have used an air flow control, they have a lower reverse flow cracking pressure and a higher reverse flow rate.

A flow control only controls the flow in one direction, and ''free flows'' in the other direction (blade up in this case). As opposed to a needle valve which controls flow in both directions. The cylinder system is filled with power steering fluid, that's what I had on the shelf.

IMG_0175.jpg

Back