New Atlas lower cross slide

iron man

Active User
Registered
100_0765.JPG

I wanted a new lower longer cross slide but I did not want to spend much incase I did not like it. I got a piece of an old broken man hole cover cut a piece out and started machining it really cut pretty nice.

- - - Updated - - -

100_0771.JPG

I lost some pictures on my camera but here is the cast iron part machined and dove tails cut and all hole drilled.

- - - Updated - - -

100_0767.JPG

To cut the degrees I got out my old dragster degree wheel made a post at the rear of the lathe with a pointer and started cutting lines.

- - - Updated - - -

100_0766.JPG

Here it is after the cuts but before the clean up.

- - - Updated - - -

100_0772.JPG

Here it is mounted four screws on top with one big counter sunk bolt on the othere side with epoxy inbetween.

- - - Updated - - -

100_0773.JPG

Here it is next to the stock one it is about three inches longer and it is a lot thicker I did not just mill out a bunch of clearance I kept things tight. I also made a longer brass nut it seems like a good idea..

- - - Updated - - -

100_0774.JPG

Here it is without the gib I made that tonight out of yellow brass it dont look to bad it is also wider than the stock slide for weight and to make it stronger.

- - - Updated - - -

100_0776.JPG

The numbers and lines are easy to read better than stock I dont have to stand on my head to see them I also numbered it all the way around.

- - - Updated - - -

100_0777.JPG

Here it is all done works nice and smooth I will know better on a heavy cut. But the modification to the upper cross slide made a world of differance I am sure this will to. I will have to keep an eye open for more broken man hole covers. Thanks for lookin.. Ray

100_0765.JPG 100_0771.JPG 100_0767.JPG 100_0766.JPG 100_0772.JPG 100_0773.JPG 100_0774.JPG 100_0776.JPG 100_0777.JPG

Nice work Ray, I wondered how you would do the flat degrees, I imagined them etched into the slide itself, that's a neat solution you came up with...

keeping my eye out for a nice bit of cast now!

Bernard

I really believe that you will see a huge reduction in chatter and improved surface finish naturally. The chatter will not go away but will be much improved! What you have now is very similar to the long slide that the turret setup, like that Bernard pictured in the other thread, came with. I used that slide the most for just those reasons.
Pierre

Thanks fellas it was a learning experiance I was really surprised at how well the cast iron machined I was sure that they probably did not use the best of material when they made it but then I found out it was very old and forged locally back in the day when they took pride in what they made. And as for the dial that was a real head scratcher the lines are so close together at that diameter I was a nervous wreck when I was done... But I could and will do it again maybe I will etch the back plate to my chuck in degrees so I always have it. Ray

Nice job! I have a manhole cover somewhere, but I managed to loose it. I'm not kidding, I know it's there but cant find it for the life of me...want to make a table out of it when I do find it.

100_0779.JPG

I thought I would dress things up a bit with stainless steel adjustment set screws.. Ray

100_0779.JPG

Very nice job Ray--you sure do quality work on your improvements and the pictures are great for all to see--especially the Atlas lathe owners----Dave

wow, that is one beautiful piece of work, nice job! Couldn't see the brass gib you made though - I was interested to see if I'm heading in the right direction with the ones I'm making

wow, that is one beautiful piece of work, nice job! Couldn't see the brass gib you made though - I was interested to see if I'm heading in the right direction with the ones I'm making

I have used yellow brass for years for gibs and have never ever had a failer if it was a production machine that Might and I do mean might be different but I really doubt it you should be fine. Ray

thanks! I've just finished making a jig to hold the gib at an angle to cut the top and bottom, so hopefully I'll get to that tonight. Having a "mill", even if it's only a converted drill press, is simply awesome.

btw - can you sand brass? I know that you're not supposed to sand cast iron as it leaves abrasives in the metal, not so sure about brass though.

Back