New PM 949

Here's the two tricky ones for my BP which is the same-ish mill, I thought I had more pictures

The column I moved by cutting a hardwood 4x8, getting it inside the column with the side door and just wrapping a strap around it
The knee I moved with a furniture dolly, its only like 300 pounds
The Ram had a eyelet hole on top to be lifted from, but it took a lot of screwing around to come apart

If you are trying to move the mill with the knee still on it the center of gravity will be pretty far forward, I would move it all the way down, engage the lock on the Z and try to lift it the same way with the knee away from the crane, very carefully
8UQ8XY6.jpg

Do you plan to post pics of the DRO install?
I hope to be doing mine soon. Ideas are welcome.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Hey Scott,

I haven't installed my DRO yet but I will post lots of pics when I do.

Here's the two tricky ones for my BP which is the same-ish mill, I thought I had more pictures

The column I moved by cutting a hardwood 4x8, getting it inside the column with the side door and just wrapping a strap around it
The knee I moved with a furniture dolly, its only like 300 pounds
The Ram had a eyelet hole on top to be lifted from, but it took a lot of screwing around to come apart

If you are trying to move the mill with the knee still on it the center of gravity will be pretty far forward, I would move it all the way down, engage the lock on the Z and try to lift it the same way with the knee away from the crane, very carefully
8UQ8XY6.jpg

Thanks for the suggestion. As it happened I had some pieces on 4x6 left from building the deck.
I used your idea plus added some 2x4 blocks to keep the chain away from the casting. Also added some cargo straps to help support the knee.
Worked like a charm. (Pics in main post)

Perfect
Just remember that the thing is much more topheavy that it seems like it should be so be careful , lower the table and spin the head if you can every time you move it

It looks like your machine is still under warranty. My advice - check it out as much as you can while you still able to obtain the warranty service.

I have a similar 9x49 PM mill just with variable speed head. I have nothing but trouble with my machine. Despite Matt's assurances I do not believe it was made in Taiwan. Some of the parts (screws, maybe head) are Taiwanese, but the rest of the parts and main assembly are done in China. Inside the ram casting I have found a piece of newspaper, which my Chinese co-worker identified as Chinese paper with 100% certainty. Most of the parts are of horrible quality. The castings interior surfaces are not cleaned of sand and painted over it. The sand keeps falling down on the screws and bearings. It needs to be cleaned out if you want your machine to live a long, happy life.

The head supposed to rotate on the ram adapter, but mine was very difficult to move. I took it apart only to find out the worm gear on the ram adapter is too short to act as a pilot for the head.
The knee pedestal is bolted to the column base. Do you think they machined the base for it? Wrong, they ground the base casting with an angle grinder to make it fit.
The gibs are scraped on one side and ground on the other one. But they are not flat at all. One of the gib screw holes was not tapped deep enough, so instead of fixing the hole they just cut the screw in half. Now I will have to make a new screw.

The worst thing is the vertical spacing between the spindle and the table is only 13.5". Bridgeport has about 18". I would not buy such a machine if I knew about it ahead of time. Matt sent me a 4" column riser, but it is not the same as a properly designed and made machine. I am not complaining, just sharing my experience so the other guys would not have to go through this.

Scott you're going to love that machine.

For the record I had none of the problems mikey553 described.

I am a very critical person when it comes to quality. I took delivery of my PM949 a few months ago and I have gone through this machine "bow to stern" so to speak. I have found absolutely nothing to complain about.

All travels of the machine was as described in the quoted specifications.
All precision surfaces are nicely ground and all axis moves as smooth as silk throughout their entire travel.
The ram slides back and forth perfectly as does the tilt and nod on the head.
I did stick my head into the main body casting to have a look around. Inside was was clean and painted with a coating of red oxide.
The table finish is beautiful with no scratches.
Even the pain job is nice.
I measured the runout of the spindle from both inside the taper and outside the spindle with an Interapid .0001" DTI. I got no measurable runout.
The motor runs smooth and quiet right up to 100Hz.

There were no miss drilled holes, no cut bolts, no assemblies that were shoehorned into place.

My PM1340GT lathe that I received together with the mill is just as nice.

I could only speak about my own machines....I am very, very pleased with their quality.

Chevy

Good to know Chevy, as I'm eyeing the same model 949 for next spring.

Last edited:
Maybe the exporter slipped a China model in on Matt's supply . With all the things he's having trouble with I'd keep real good pictures or videos to show him and ask for an exchange or refund some for the difference. Let him fight it out with his suppliers. He don't want unhappy customers.

Someone just alerted me to this, but its not quite the tone they said. Who are you? I can not find anyone or anything by searching with the info I can see here. These mills, the PM-949TS, and PM-949TV, as well as the 935Ts/V and others we have are absolutely made in Taiwan. The PM-950V has the head made in Taiwan, and the body made in China, just like they say. And a newspaper? I have had piles of Chinese newspaper around at times, its how a lot of the stuff comes packed in. But I would really like to know who you are, because I sure have never heard of these issues. These 935/949/1054T models mills are excellent machines, and are absolutely made in Taiwan.

Back