New to me Clausing lathe

I'm not tearing into this like I did the Logan. No need. Most of my Clausing is just lack of cleaning, it flat out dirty. I'm looking now for covers to plug up all of the extra "T" slots on the saddle to keep it as free of chips as possible. If nothing else I can use dense foam rods made for window installation. And if that slot is ever needed just pull it out.

I'm not tearing into this like I did the Logan. No need. Most of my Clausing is just lack of cleaning, it flat out dirty. I'm looking now for covers to plug up all of the extra "T" slots on the saddle to keep it as free of chips as possible. If nothing else I can use dense foam rods made for window installation. And if that slot is ever needed just pull it out.

I really enjoyed your Logan thread! You did a fantastic job on that machine! Your learned experiences should help sort out this machine pronto! Hopefully, no expensive parts will be needed.

Looks almost like mine. Since you have the coolant tank door open can you remove the tank, or go through the back. My tank is leaking, or something under there leaks.
My tank is integrated with the cabinet - a one-piece design. Yours is likely the same. I'll look at mine more closely, but you likely have a cracked weld or the like. Hopefully, it isn't too difficult to find. It's a tight space in there.

That's why in the parts list no tank is shown. Maybe just a leaking hose. I've never used coolant before and too old now. I just take my time and go slower.

More grease and dried oil removal. One of the benefits of this machine being so filthy dirty and greasy is that all the chrome handwheels and dials look like New, after they are srubbed clean. No rust or corrosion.
This cleaning job is going to take a while.

Attachments

• 20240125_103402.jpg
    20240125_103402.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 8
More grease and dried oil removal. One of the benefits of this machine being so filthy dirty and greasy is that all the chrome handwheels and dials look like New, after they are srubbed clean. No rust or corrosion.
This cleaning job is going to take a while.
I tried taking mine apart but could not separate the top slide from the swivel slide. The top slide screw gave me fits, and I decided to stop before I ruined something. The only reason I wanted to take it down that far was to see what it would take to convert the 4-way (square) tool post to a quick change. I decided the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. I've yet to put it back together, so if you have a trick up your sleeve, I'm all ears.

Pulled off the main slide. What a mess. Debris about 1/4 to 3/8 thick on one side. I know the gib was never adjusted or it's doubtful as you need to pull it off to adjust it. The gib is held on with some allen bolts that need to be loosened to allow adjustment, then tightened down gib bolts and re install. Cleaning is done for today. Same adjustment for the compound gib. It has to be removed as the bolts go up through the bottom.

Attachments

• 20240125_154424.jpg
    20240125_154424.jpg
    405.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20240125_154417.jpg
    20240125_154417.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 8
I tried taking mine apart but could not separate the top slide from the swivel slide. The top slide screw gave me fits, and I decided to stop before I ruined something. The only reason I wanted to take it down that far was to see what it would take to convert the 4-way (square) tool post to a quick change. I decided the juice wasn't worth the squeeze. I've yet to put it back together, so if you have a trick up your sleeve, I'm all ears.
Gaffer, it took me 2 sharp blows with a Dead blow mallet to get it to swivel, then it lifted right off. Those 2 nuts are hard as he'll to get too . Give it a few wacks on the sides too. I would bet it will come off.

Pulled off the main slide. What a mess. Debris about 1/4 to 3/8 thick on one side. I know the gib was never adjusted or it's doubtful as you need to pull it off to adjust it. The gib is held on with some allen bolts that need to be loosened to allow adjustment, then tightened down gib bolts and re install. Cleaning is done for today. Same adjustment for the compound gib. It has to be removed as the bolts go up through the bottom.

How does the wear on the ways look? Hard to tell from the pictures.

Cutting oil is my blood.

So far this is a nice machine. Just too big for my small garage shop. So eventually I will sell it and look for a smaller lathe

Back