New to me "Jone not JET"

If it is a Clausing drive then could this not be a Clausing machine? I have never seen an Asian machine with this kind of drive. The other thing that strikes me is the small diameter of the column. It looks more appropriate for a drill press than a milling machine. However, I don't know if that would translate into a real world lack of rigidity.

Regardless, this is an interesting machine. Keep us posted!
The column is 4" in diameter and about 50" tall, it weighs what I would guess to be about 1/4 ton. I used a cherry picker to move it. Clausing's in that era were made in the USA and I think still are, also I don't think they made a bench mill like that but did make lots of drill presses in Kalamazoo MI. Name plate says Taiwan R.O.C. on this one.

This is his father's Jet that I was talking about.

View attachment 362084

View attachment 362086
Yep bingo, that one is a bit newer mine. Switch is on the other side and mine has a cover with drill speeds instead of quill depth, manufacture date is Oct 1986 on mine.

Correct, on the Reeves drive, I could not remember the name and just called it a Clausing type because that is where I have seen it the most.

While I am at it, anyone know where I could get a new plastic bellows piece in front for the Y ways?

Yep bingo, that one is a bit newer mine. Switch is on the other side and mine has a cover with drill speeds instead of quill depth, manufacture date is Oct 1986 on mine.

Correct, on the Reeves drive, I could not remember the name and just called it a Clausing type because that is where I have seen it the most.

While I am at it, anyone know where I could get a new plastic bellows piece in front for the Y ways?

I guess I should go ask on the JET section, does this mean I have to move there? I was just starting to like you guys!

Also, any comments for my question in the first post of this thread about preloading the bearings?

My mill was branded a “Go Well”..... a different style but I almost have to wonder if the naming convention is simply to pick 2 words at random from some book..... lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's like naming a rock band used to be. "Fragrant Banana" "Tarheel Grandma" "Slingblade Flytrap" etc.
-M

Back