Newly Acquired Walker Turner 20 inch Drill Press :)

itsme_Bernie

Active User
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Hey Everyone!

First off- does anyone have one of these? I will have some questions for you!

A few months ago I was asking advice (read as "whining and alagoning") about two drill presses not doing what I needed, and wanting to find one to solve ALL my drilling problems.

For future drill press info searchers, here is that whining thread:

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/show...-Quandary-(self-created-)?p=126915#post126915

My concerns were:
-Needed MT2 Spindle - since I already have loads of MT2 tooling.
-Floor Model
-Geared table elevation- I have a large 6x20-ish X-Y table for positioning work.
-SLOW spindle option- I didn't care of it was VFD, or pulleys.

Well, I found one on Craigslist! With terrible pictures! Laughably bad pictures! Look at these:

gemede3y.jpg

epuvymaj.jpg

They were even posted crooked like this! Hah hah.
It was listed as a Walker Turner. I think scale is always hard to determine when it comes to post-mounted drill presses, but even these bad pics gave a few clues. I could tell by the table and the foot that it COULD be a 17 or 20 inch machine, so I called the guy right away!

When I showed up, I almost laughed out loud, because it is humongous!
This is definitely the largest of this post-style drill presses I have seen in person- this thing is a BEAST!! According to the catalog, delivery weight is 500lbs! I have seen bigger drilling machines, but they are all cast iron bodied, gear-head or camelback machines.

As it turns out, this is a Walker Turner D1100 20 Inch Drill Press.
It is funny to see myself next to it- it's like i'm in kindergarten hah hah- it's over 6 feet tall! Here it is just in my garage:

save7yhu.jpg

The previous owner purchased it at a school auction, from Somerville High School in NJ, and stored it for 10 years. Didn't look bad at all though! The only issues being a bad belt, a gummed up table-gear mechanism (pics below WOW), a light arc of shame (not bad after leaving a school shop), and a frozen table-to-column which I knew was not a real problem.

Plenty of room to work, and T-slots! I always wondered what professional shops do with production tables without T-slots?

y7ahy9un.jpg

The seller helped load the truck, and when I got it home, I performed the tilt and lift out if the back of the pickup to stand it up at the door of my garage shop:

ypa7age4.jpg

It has an 1140 RPM 3 Phase motor, which looks original.
Question 1---- Anyone ever put a VFD on a lower RPM motor like this? The slow speed is 260 RPM with this motor, but I'm trying to get 100 or less for trepanning 6 inch aluminum. If I don't make another pulley to slow it down, I think that's pretty VFD-able.

bepy6ave.jpg

puqabura.jpg

egu8uryg.jpg

After freeing the the table from the column with Liquid Torch, the elevating mechanism still felt pretty yucky and kept sticking. I locked the table, and removed the housing for the riser gear- and a liquid that beads on oil poured out!! I don't understand what it could be and have no rust inside:
(See suspicious puddle of liquid on foot)

yradetyt.jpg

I have cleaned up a lot of machines, but I have NEVER seen such yucky, gritty, gooey crap CraMMed inside something like this, but it took 45 minutes to clean it all out:

tu2y4anu.jpg

a3yza9ym.jpg

ga3ydy2e.jpg

After Superlube Grease on the worm gear, reassembly, and using a car jack to get the table to a clean part of the column, it worked like a charm! :)

So the next jobs are:

-Wire it up and test the motor
-Raise the table elevating rack a few inches into a more useful range
-Either VFD or rig up a speed reduction pulley
-Add the X-Y table
-Move it 20 feet into place!
So here it sits:

e9equmyb.jpg

Updates and questions to come!

Bernie

Bernie - I've got one of those - it was badged WT / Rockwell so the vintage is mid 1950's (just after the Rockwell / WT merger). The only difference is that Mine had/has a Rockwell power feed unit on it. Here's a pic after I had completed the restore

Overview_zps36268bee.jpg

Let me know if you have questions. Just an FYI - on mine the spindle/quill bearings were the WT proprietary design . They are available but not cheap.

Rick

Nice size drill. Amazing what a little TLC can do to an older machine, Good job on the clean up.

Bernie I also have one it has the Walker/Turner power feed on it I picked it up a few years ago for $100.00. It needs restoring and I hope to get to it some time early next year.

I've only used it twice because I have to many drill presses.

Paul

Thanks Rick!

You did a beautiful resto! I have seen quite a few with the power feed- I thought I would upgrade mine later, but the head casting is not the same, missing the cutout for the belt drive. But power feed was not on my list of requirements for new machine :)

Even though the bearings seem to feel pretty smooth, and the ridiculous "pull on the side of the spindle" test seems to feel pretty solid, I would surely like to keep my eyes peeled to have a spare set of bearings.

Right now I'm working on trying to change the belt!
This would seem to be the simplest job you could imagine, being on a drill press, but no. There is some sort of protective cylinder coming down through the top of the front bell (which also does not come off) which is painted in place on top. This cylinder also has a GITS oiler in the top, I am guessing to drip into the spline of the spindle below.

I ran a razor around the paint on top, and have some paint remover around that edge for what is sealing it in place. I don't want to mar the cylinder up with a channel lock, as it is a tight fit in bell.

I can't wait to get this thing running! :)

Bernie

Ok Rick or Anyone!! Help!

Question 1- do you have this sleeve above the spindle coming down to just above the pulley?

y4e5esuz.jpg

I have to slide that "Upper Bearing Retainer" up to replace the belt, but is almost completely stuck, there is NO way to pry it up from the bottom while turning it because THAT is the pulley, and no way to pull it up from the top either!!

It comes through the top of the front bell (although yours is square, so may be different)

ugurenym.jpg

For the LIFE of me, I am trying to slide it up so I can put a new belt in. I can only BEARLY TURN it when I put a huge channel locks on it. I did remove the only set screw I have access to. I have it soaking with PB Blaster.

EDIT:
I DID find the part on the parts list- "Upper Bearing Retainer". No instructions on how to slide it up, just says "removal of Upper Bearing Retainer will provide clearance between pulley and head casting thereby permitting removal or insertion of belt".

Any advice or thoughts after your own restoration would be a great help.
I do not want to use a link belt as I really need to maintain torque and traction. AAAAAGH!!

Bernie

Thanks Man!

That does help- my model is 1950. It has a round top, but still the same upper bearing housing.

On another site, a guy with the same machine told me to drill and tap two 1/4-20 holes at 180 degrees from each other to pull it up.

So I got my work cut out for me! I'd say it's the only real design flaw I have come across yet. Otherwise a lovely machine

Bernie

Back