Newly Acquired Walker Turner 20 inch Drill Press :)

You can always run a link style belt on it. You'll never see it under the guard.

You can always run a link style belt on it. You'll never see it under the guard.

Bill,

In your opinion, how are those things for grip?

My problem with a previous smaller drill press is at at low speed, the belt would occasionally slip under heavy load. I really wanted this beast so that wouldn't happen.

That said, the pulleys alone in this machine are almost twice the diameter, which greatly increases the surface area of belt working.

I am a few steps further, as I have drilled and tapped two holes in the top of the damn bearing housing, and plan, tomorrow night, to thread some bolts through a plate to lift it out while I twist it from the inside. AGH!

Bernie

I've never used one but have heard a lot of good feedback on them. I have a grinder that will get one when it's time because of the same thing you've run into.

I have used one, but it was on an Atlas 6 inch lathe.
I liked it, but it just doesn't seem like it can be as sticky when it is not so smooth and less rubbery.

It would be great for a grinder I bet.

Bernie

I have used one, but it was on an Atlas 6 inch lathe.
I liked it, but it just doesn't seem like it can be as sticky when it is not so smooth and less rubbery.

It would be great for a grinder I bet.

Bernie

I use it on my atlas press and I like it. I find the regular belt will slip way before a linkbelt. And I don't mind the slipping, sometimes it tells me I'm going to hard.

Ajax-20130605-00432.jpg

Ajax-20130605-00432.jpg

Nice score. I have a couple of smaller Walker Turner drill presses and they are great machines. I recently found a 6 gang WT 20 inch production setup. It is probably mid fifties. I can't figure out how to add pictures yet. To remove the belt I removed the top oiler cover which captures the top bearing. The cover slips off the top bearing which provides enough room to remove the belt. Then I removed the spindle and drove the bottom bearing and pulley up. I wonder if that would work in your case? If the retainer is a smaller diameter than the cap it might work, assuming the bottom bearing arrangement is like the one I have.

Nice score Bernie. That things got lots of use left in it.

Ok.

Update is that I am painfully, but successfully, working the bearing retainer cap up, using the drill-tap-and-screw method to draw it up from the top.

There is a VERY helpful guy on another forum who happened to have changed belts on a number of the head on my exact model/year. Thanks Rick for your help too, but my retainer is held in slightly differently.

When I got the retainer part way up, the whole pulley was coming up too!!! I pried it down, and it popped loose like it was supposed to.
Nice, rigid design for a spindle, but PIA to change a belt!!! AGH!

I am seriously reworking it when it comes out to assure this doesn't happen again.

Pics tomorrow.

Bernie

Bernie---the book said to remove the set screws on the brng housing--you said you only had one--was there a second one that was still tight? My WT is in my other shop so I can't look at it yet--hope you got it ok--Dave--nice looking press!!!!

Thanks Dave-

There is only one in mine. Do you have a 1950, round-bell machine like mine? Or is it more rectangular, Rockwell-Walker Turner machine like Rick's, above?

I can see he has a few places for screws on top I think...

Thanks man! It is in otherwise wonderful shape, with a nice, tight spindle and the table works great!

Bernie

Back