Non-license version of AutoCAD

I too object to subscription services. I purposely bought a seat of SolidWorks outright in 2012 so I wouldn't have to put up with that. Unfortunately, there are strings attached in that an install has to be activated. At some point in the future, SolidWorks could rescind the "forever" license and lock me out. If I have ample warning, I could work around that by installing on a dedicated computer that is not connected to the internet.

When Fusion 360 first came out it was full featured and free. I specifically asked the the Autodesk reps if that was forever and I was told unequivocally that it would be free forever. So much for that.

I use a printed circuit CAD program called Eagle. For many years, it we free. Then they sold to Autodesk and with version 8, you have to log into the Fusion suite. It does have some interesting features in ver. 8 and beyond, including integration into other Autodesk products but at some point, if not already, they will most likely make this a subscription service as well. I keep an older version of Eagle, 7.2 which I use for my layouts. It will advise me that a newer version is available which I decline.

If there is a stable version of a software package that you want to preserve, it makes sense to install it on a dedicated and isolated computer.
Here my friend, you'll like this, I think, when the time comes....

Edit: 48 bucks a year....

I use Educational Autocad 2000 on an old laptop running Vista. Yeap Vista! Been looking at Freecad and others for when the laptop permanently dies. Draftsight was not my cup of tea.
Pierre
You might look at Briscad, they'll sell you a perpetual license...

I use Educational Autocad 2000 on an old laptop running Vista. Yeap Vista! Been looking at Freecad and others for when the laptop permanently dies. Draftsight was not my cup of tea.
Pierre
I found 2 easy ways to use Autocad 2000 on Windows 11 64 bit.
1) Is use a 32-bit installer Have used on both Windows 10 and 11.
See past post #10 for installers.
2) VB box and use XP 32-bit on Windows 11 64-bit.

Both work better than they did in year 2000 using Windows 2000 or XP.

I like VB box the best it runs faster and I can use other old software too. My computer likes the Version 5.xx the best 6 is newer but does not like my new HP laptop.
If do not have a copy of XP you find it under abandon software.
I save all operating systems from

DOS to Windows 11 64 just incase I need for some reason and pay lot for plastic disk.

Dave

FYI Autocad 95 works best on Windows 11 64-bit using 32 bit installer that did on Windows 95.

Last edited:
I found 2 easy ways to use Autocad 2000 on Windows 11 64 bit.
1) Is use a 32-bit installer Have used on both Windows 10 and 11.
See past post #10 for installers.
2) VB box and use XP 32-bit on Windows 11 64-bit.

Both work better than they did in year 2000 using Windows 2000 or XP.

I like VB box the best it runs faster and I can use other old software too. My computer likes the Version 5.xx the best 6 is newer but does not like my new HP laptop.
If do not have a copy of XP you find it under abandon software.
I save all operating systems from

DOS to Windows 11 64 just incase I need for some reason and pay lot for plastic disk.

Dave

FYI Autocad 95 works best on Windows 11 64-bit using 32 bit installer that did on Windows 95.
Here photo of Windows 11-64 bit with Autocad 2000 and Vbox with Autocad running.

Dave

Here photo of Windows 11-64 bit with Autocad 2000 and Vbox with Autocad running
20240126_093404.jpg

I am curious as to why you do 2D layouts in AutoCAD when you are running SolidWorks. I routinely do 2D drawings in SolidWorks. Maybe AutoCAD has changed since I last used it (2000 version) but you had to explicitly dimension and position entities. If you wanted to reposition them, you had to explicitly move them the required amount. SolidWorks being parametric, you can draw a back of the napkin sketch and add the necessary parameters to fully define the drawing. If you decide to change a relationship you just click on the parameter you wish to change and change it.
Great point, Solidworks will auto gen 85% of the ortho and is easy to do the rest and if you keep it together when you update a feature the program will update the drawing.

I've been using AutoCAD for over 30 years. It's really easy for me to draw up an assembly of various components and see how they all fit. I then draw it in SW and create really nice ortho views for making the parts. I can do it manually, as in mechanical pencil, scale and triangle, too.

I hate subscriptions as well. I think the software companies are getting revenge for all the money they lost when everyone used pirated/borrowed copies. I really wish they'd let us buy older versions for cheap. I don't need support, since there are forums.

I downloaded Fusion360 and am not fond of it so far. I left it on the OEM mode instead of changing the interface to SW or something else. I'll keep watching the tutorials and see if I like it. For 2D I might try one of the suggestions above.

Back