Non-license version of AutoCAD

Also using Acad 2000, but mine won't run on 64-bit Windows. Running in a 32-bit WinXP virtual machine. We bought it back in the day, so screw 'em.
The two installers work on programs from 1995 till 2001.
It works on Autocad 95 too.
Autocad 95 work great on Windows 11 64 bit.
I have update version of 2000 and have 95 first.

Dave

I use FreeCAD. As it's name implies, it is free to try and to keep. Works on just about any common platform. No subscriptions, no fees. It's a fully featured CAD program, have even done finite element analysis with it. Support is actually pretty good. I've been offered solutions simply by posting online in their forum. And bug fixes to try within hours. I recommend giving it a try, it's not a scam, you won't get a virus or malware, nor will you be sued for having counterfeit software. And it actually works for both 3d and 2d drawings.

Damn. I was going to recommend Draft Sight as an AutoCAD clone, but not only is it no longer free, it's also subscription-based now (and not cheap!). Hang on to those perpetual licenses folks!

GsT (Uses Alibre, but sometimes VariCAD if it's strictly 2D - both paid, perpetual, licenses.)

Damn. I was going to recommend Draft Sight as an AutoCAD clone, but not only is it no longer free, it's also subscription-based now (and not cheap!). Hang on to those perpetual licenses folks!

GsT (Uses Alibre, but sometimes VariCAD if it's strictly 2D - both paid, perpetual, licenses.)
There is DoubleCad it is free download . It works close to Autocad.
I use for saving drawings in to AutoCad 2000 format for my AutoCad 2000

Dave

Unfortunately, Autodesk no longer has perpetual licenses. You'll have to google due me not yet having 3 messages, but Bricsys has a perpetual license. Their Lite version is showing as $708 and is similar to AutoCAD LT, but with LISP support.

Maybe you all are wealthy, have near infinite budgets, or you think something free can't be good, or something like that, but FreeCAD is relatively powerful, even for someone like me. Here's an AXA tool holder that I have modeled parametrically, so that I can change the toolholder bore. This is for a 1" bar, which isn't standard. I didn't bother to add in all the chamfers, but it is easy to do so. If I want to change the screws it is easy to do by simply changing a value in the spreadsheet. I don't always design this way, but it is sure handy when you do.
Screenshot 2024-01-25 at 2.42.55 PM.png
I also modeled a case for my home made ELS controller with FreeCAD. I imported my PCB design into FreeCAD and designed the box and its cover. Exported to stl in a few clicks and printed the case. Was an interesting design getting registration in 3 dimensions. The display had to fit through the bezel, the USB connector had to line up with the hole in the box, and of course all of the fasteners had to line up with everything. This was done at an assembly level in FreeCAD.
completeassembly.jpg
Also modeled the pieces for the ELS in FreeCAD. First modeled a basic mock up of the lathe and added bits and pieces. I wanted to make sure things would line up when it was all assembled. It does, thanks to this work. Used FreeCAD to design the motor brackets, and whatnot. I think it is a great tool.
someoftheELSstuff.jpg
And, you can use it to design tools, too. This is a circle cutter I designed and built.
circlecutter_latest.jpgPXL_20230601_222900503.jpg
I don't know, this tool seems to work ok for me.

Joko Engineering has done an engine cylinder head in this video using FreeCAD.

I should mention I'm an educator and currently have access to all the software, but I'd like to get my own copy. I was able to do that with SolidWorks. I just use AutoCAD for 2D drawing layouts before I put them in SolidWorks.
I am curious as to why you do 2D layouts in AutoCAD when you are running SolidWorks. I routinely do 2D drawings in SolidWorks. Maybe AutoCAD has changed since I last used it (2000 version) but you had to explicitly dimension and position entities. If you wanted to reposition them, you had to explicitly move them the required amount. SolidWorks being parametric, you can draw a back of the napkin sketch and add the necessary parameters to fully define the drawing. If you decide to change a relationship you just click on the parameter you wish to change and change it.

I too object to subscription services. I purposely bought a seat of SolidWorks outright in 2012 so I wouldn't have to put up with that. Unfortunately, there are strings attached in that an install has to be activated. At some point in the future, SolidWorks could rescind the "forever" license and lock me out. If I have ample warning, I could work around that by installing on a dedicated computer that is not connected to the internet.

When Fusion 360 first came out it was full featured and free. I specifically asked the the Autodesk reps if that was forever and I was told unequivocally that it would be free forever. So much for that.

I use a printed circuit CAD program called Eagle. For many years, it we free. Then they sold to Autodesk and with version 8, you have to log into the Fusion suite. It does have some interesting features in ver. 8 and beyond, including integration into other Autodesk products but at some point, if not already, they will most likely make this a subscription service as well. I keep an older version of Eagle, 7.2 which I use for my layouts. It will advise me that a newer version is available which I decline.

If there is a stable version of a software package that you want to preserve, it makes sense to install it on a dedicated and isolated computer.

I use Educational Autocad 2000 on an old laptop running Vista. Yeap Vista! Been looking at Freecad and others for when the laptop permanently dies. Draftsight was not my cup of tea.
Pierre

I am curious as to why you do 2D layouts in AutoCAD when you are running SolidWorks. I routinely do 2D drawings in SolidWorks. Maybe AutoCAD has changed since I last used it (2000 version) but you had to explicitly dimension and position entities. If you wanted to reposition them, you had to explicitly move them the required amount. SolidWorks being parametric, you can draw a back of the napkin sketch and add the necessary parameters to fully define the drawing. If you decide to change a relationship you just click on the parameter you wish to change and change it.
Great point, Solidworks will auto gen 85% of the ortho and is easy to do the rest and if you keep it together when you update a feature the program will update the drawing.

Back