[How do I?] Noob - Need to Make a Shoulder Bolt Washer

Shiseiji

Avid destroyer of many materials.
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I have a shouldered 5/8" motor shaft with 1/2" threads. Need to make a shoulder washer for it and other than hand filing one, am clueless on how to proceed. To work with I have a Clausing 8511 mill (factory M-Head), a cheap rotary table with a #1MT, and a Logan 820 10" lathe. Any help is appreciated, search didn't turn up anything helpful, but my criteria could easily be wrong.

TIA

Ron

Is this what you are trying to make?

shouldered washer.jpg

Or this?

shouldered washer 002.jpg

Either would be easy to make on your lathe.

Last edited:
That doesn't seem like a terribly difficult project on the lathe- unless there is some special feature it needs to have?
Do you have bar stock of the correct diameter and a parting tool?
-Mark

Thanks, and my apologies for the poor description. Here's a quick dirt sketch. Inner flats and radius. The flats sit on the bolt shoulders. I'm thinking drill two holes and then mill out the waste, but why not ask?

Ron

Attachments

• 1605550949265.png
    1605550949265.png
    6.2 KB · Views: 10
If it is a one-off, here is how I would do it if it is relatively thick. Sounds like ultra-precision isn't necessary.

1 Turn the round stock to the outer diameter you want.
2 Center drill on the lathe to the width of the slot (or just under)
3 Part to the desired thickness or just over.
4 Mill or drill the slot on your mill. File slot to shape if you drill. File end of slot to proper radius if different from radius of end mill / if necessary.
5 Clean up on a stone or sander as needed.

Coincidentally, I JUST did one of these things, about 1.25" OD x 1/4" thick two weeks ago for a part needed for my lawn mower.

Thanks! Really happy you spotted this. I've off center drilled a few things in the 4 jaw, just didn't come to mind. Mr. Imaginative Machinest I'm not. LOL, I'm using a 24v DC lawn mower motor in a test to convert the mower to a dog lure coursing rope pull with a simple capstain I made. Managed to over size the bore (arggggggggggg) so had more fun making a sleeve. I'm going to secure the washer to the capstan. Plan is to drive stakes through the deck to hold it in place and see how it goes. Parting 4" aluminum was a PIA. :rolleyes:

Thanks again.

The things we do for our beloved Pooches.

Another project along this same line here......
I need to make a few shoulder bolts, I hope that is the correct term for them.
OAL is 1.5"
head is 11/16"
Shoulder is .50 x .395 deep
and threads are 3/8x16

I'm thinking using a length of .75" round and turning the shoulder, then the thread.
Then using the mill to cut the flats in a hex collet.
What say you guys?
Only I am concerned about the threads being so close to the shoulder.
Not sure I can do that without screwing up the shoulder end.
Suggestions anyone?
Thanks!

Attachments

• DSCN9351.JPG
    DSCN9351.JPG
    379.4 KB · Views: 5
A piece of Hex rod, turn the shoulder, drill and tap for a set screw, locktite, Bob's Your Uncle.

Back