opinions on entry level outside micrometers.

The only issue I have with my Chinese digital analog is the thumb knob spring tension is a little light. I loosely grip the barrel and turn gently until my fingers slip on the knurling to get a good measurement.

Sounds like cosmoline. Most machinists had access to it, to protect tools and parts that needed protection for whatever reason.
No Sir, Woodchucker- i'm familiar with cosmoline from messing around with military surplus rifles.
the substance i'm referring to is translucent brown/green and envelops the whole surface gauge.
i'll post a picture when i get home

I'm in the market for a 1"-2" micrometer,I already have two Chinese vernier 0 - 1" but now I'm looking for a 1-2".
As you know there are all kinds and types of micrometers out there, electronic digital, mechanical digital, digital with vernier scale, or no scale at all, and the old non digital vernier.prices range between $50 to $500.
What do you guys use ,how many do you have? what's you go to outside micrometer?

I have seen Tubalcain using a mechanical digital type but I'm not sure if they'll last long unless I get a quality brand like Mitutoyo ,I most likely will buy an electronic digital type but even those come in two types, those with vernier scale and the other type (that I like the most) which only has a plastic thimble/ratchet stop .
I don't measure anything supercritical so the entry level will most likely will be alright but I'd like to know what you think ,electronic/digital with vernier scale or without the scale? or just a vernier micrometer like my one inch Chinese one that has served me well for a while:
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Mitutoyo-1-2-25-50mm-0-00005-0-001mm-Digital-Micrometer/302525609960?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B0725VYCC3/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I1HK3L7YV3DGPV&colid=U1FASJ1VAXTT

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0333298
View attachment 247019
View attachment 247020
View attachment 247021
I have pretty much all the top brands mentioned, but my go to mic has always been an old craftsman. I bought one back in the 70s when I worked in a grinding dept. I've used it since. Then last year I dropped it. I started using some of the big name mics but I didn't like the feel of them. I've since bought 2 used craftsman mics on ebay. One to use and one as backup for my clumbsy ass. I paid 12 and 15 bucks for them. I forget who made them for sears but they're a damn good mic that sell real cheap on ebay. It's basically a matter of personal preference though. Good luck.

Having said that, my favorite 1-2" mic is a mitutoyo. Also a great feeling mic.

Etalon, IMHO, is the Gold standard when it comes to precision micrometers. An Etalon will be around long past the life of any Mitutoyo
digital mic.

I'm with Emilio. I think that there are two factors to consider where mics are concerned. First is quality, and it is difficult to beat the Swiss and Germans here. The old Starretts and Mits are also good. Second is feel and here I think it is subjective. I like the feel of my Etalons the best but Helios is a close second, followed by B&S.

I bought one of the early B&S digital mics at full retail price. Worked fine ... for about a year and it broke. Cost almost as much as a new one to fix it. That was the last digital mic I ever considered.

I have seen near mint Etalon mics go for less than new retail Chinese prices on ebay. For me, that is the way I would go.

No Sir, Woodchucker- i'm familiar with cosmoline from messing around with military surplus rifles.
the substance i'm referring to is translucent brown/green and envelops the whole surface gauge.
i'll post a picture when i get home

It was brown and possibly slightly translucent but hard and somewhat brittle. It was very slow getting it off because it adhered well to the surface. It was clearly something for long term storage and protection but my impression was that it was easy to remove if 1. you knew the proper technique (head, chemical?) or it went bad over the years and turned solid. I don't know the age but I would guess it was from the 40's or 50's.

Probably ancient dip-seal/seal-peel. Heat gun to warm it will soften it and it should release easily enough. Warm it up and peel away!

There is no shortage of good used older mics and calipers.
I was at a pawn shop recently and they had a really nice selection of mics at very reasonable prices.

I bought one of the early B&S digital mics at full retail price. Worked fine ... for about a year and it broke. Cost almost as much as a new one to fix it. That was the last digital mic I ever considered.
That is the problem with electronic equipment. You are not buying the technology, you are renting it. Old fashioned quality mechanical mics WORK, the batteries do not wear out, they are not so big that you cannot fit them to the workpiece, and the batteries do not go dead or leak and eat the other electronics. Mechanical digital equipment is fragile. I have no place at all in my hobby shop for expensive digital measuring equipment. A cheap Harbor Freight caliper is my only exception along this line. The one I have been using for going on five years cost $8 and is still working like new after being used multiple times nearly every day. If it ever fails I will gladly toss it hard against the wall and pull out the duplicate I picked up at the same time. And I have vernier and dial calipers as well. If I worked every day as a professional machinist, my choices might very well be different, but I would still keep manual measuring equipment on hand as backups for all common measuring tasks.

Back