Resolved OT: Ads in between posts

As a supporter, I find the anti-adblock annoying. At work I am not allowed to log in, they filter the login page. I am also required to run adblock. It's forced on by AD policy. They don't mind if I look at stuff, but I get the silly anti-adblock when I come here now. Now I have to use my phone.

And it's not likely to convince anyone to annoy them.
@ttabbal

The H-M login page is filtered? I will have to take a look at that and figure out what is going on there. Is the anti-adblock you are getting the H-M notice or your work policy notice? Just want to make sure any refinements I make actually make sense.

Upvote 0
@ttabbal

The H-M login page is filtered? I will have to take a look at that and figure out what is going on there. Is the anti-adblock you are getting the H-M notice or your work policy notice? Just want to make sure any refinements I make actually make sense.
I just updated my browser a few days ago, so was logged out. When I attempted to log in today there was an "Anti Ad Block" banner. That banner kept me from being able to login or interact with the site at all. Turned blocking off, logged in, turned blocking back on. Everything seems fine now.

Upvote 0
I donated voluntarily once it was seen as acceptable to allow voluntary donations, presumably this was instigated between my donating and my donation requiring renewal.
Frankly any site behaving this way loses my support permanently.

Upvote 0
The login thing isn't you guys. It's the firewall at the office. Nothing you can do about it. The anti adblock is HM. But I can't disable it at work. The settings are disabled for users. I can use the site on my phone, so that's something.

I get it's not a simple thing. But I've read research that shows anti adblock convinces nobody. And the reason they require it at work is that security attacks have been distributed via ad networks.

Upvote 0
Evening everyone. Just want to be clear about how the software works.

If you are donating member and using AdBlocker, as ttabbal has indicated, the issue may be on your firewall end. The software we are using will recognize Donating members and ignore it.

The issue rises when you initially use it and then decide to donate - which many people have decided to do at the $10 per year level. Once that has happened, the software will remove you from the AdBlocker user group and stop with the nagging banner. It sounds like logging out and logging back in does the trick once you are a donating member.

Yes, it is annoying. We get it. However, the vast majority of the users on the site are non-donating members and whether you want to accept the facts or not, operating the site costs money. To that end, we have given a range of donation options and as we have recently announced, ALL Donating Levels = NO ADS! For about 80 cents per month you can experience H-M ad free.

The higher donation levels grant additional features and permissions and also give you an opportunity to donate to keep this great site here for many years to come. There is now even a Lifetime Member option for $150. As we add more downloads, features and options that come at an expense above and beyond hosting fees, the operating costs rise. Registered members and Guests can contribute to these expense by viewing ads.

Sorry for the inconvenience, but this is the world we live in at the moment and it is the fairest next step that we have been able to come up with for the time being. As we continue to evolve and grow, we will continue to update the funding model and make this as affordable as possible for as many members as we can.

Thanks for your understanding.

The Staff

Upvote 0
Back