Pass Around 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the opinions fellas. Keep them coming.

My concern about the weight limit has to do with taking best possible care of the PAB case (stainless box). @vtcnc had the current one made for us, but I'm not at all sure that he could replace it. The Aluminum predecessor (built by a participant) disappeared in a previous years activity. Without such a case, PAB is dead in the water, so it behooves all of us (participants) to do whatever we can to take best possible care of it.

I totally agree with @Cadillac about reducing all dims by 1/16 or so in the future. The PAB case should lip slip into the FRB with ease. Last time I had it (and it was in better shape then), I had to split the seam on the FRB and re-glue it with the PAB case inside. If anyone wants to volunteer to build a new PAB case, I have some design ideas that I would like to share.

Although a Staff member is supervising the PAB, he shouldn't be thought of as populating the contents beyond the responsibilities of every participant.

My feeling is "Take what you like. Give fair value." Everybody is on the honor system and shouldn't feel self-conscious if they replace what they took with fair value.

Raw stock is good.

LOL For many years I wanted the plastic handles for some Kant-Twist clamps, but couldn't justify the $. I only recently got a good price on a bag of them. The last time I had the box, I put in 10 pieces that fit the 2" & 2-1/2" Kant-Twist clamps. I have been surprised that none of them have showed up in any photos. I thought they would go like hot cakes.

The point is, we just don't know what each other will select.

Is there anything that we should do/try to make the PAB experience better? It's up to us (the participants).

Last edited:
These are all great comments and I hope they do coming from other members.

There was one comment about putting a weight limit on the box. To be clear, the only weight constraint we are bound to is to not exceed 70lbs.

Beyond that, weight does become a consideration when you factor in box durability and longevity in the hands of your local postal carriers who may or may not appreciate our little game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the opinions fellas. Keep them coming.

My concern about the weight limit has to do with taking best possible care of the PAB case (stainless box). @vtcnc had the current one made for us, but I'm not at all sure that he could replace it. The Aluminum predecessor (built by a participant) disappeared in a previous years activity. Without such a case, PAB is dead in the water, so it behooves all of us (participants) to do whatever we can to take best possible care of it.

I totally agree with @Cadillac about reducing all dims by 1/16 or so in the future. The PAB case should lip into the FRB with ease. Last time I had it (and it was in better shape then), I had to split the seam on the FRB and re-glue it with the PAB case inside. If anyone wants to volunteer to build a new PAB case, I have some design ideas that I would like to share.

Although a Staff member is supervising the PAB, he shouldn't be thought of as populating the contents beyond the responsibilities of every participant.

My feeling is "Take what you like. Give fair value." Everybody is on the honor system and shouldn't feel self-conscious if they replace what they took with fair value.

Raw stock is good.

LOL For many years I wanted the plastic handles for some Kant-Twist clamps, but couldn't justify the $. I only recently got a good price on a bag of them. The last time I had the box, I put in 10 pieces that fit the 2" & 2-1/2" Kant-Twist clamps. I have been surprised that none of them have showed up in any photos. I thought they would go like hot cakes.

The point is, we just don't know what each other will select.

Is there anything that we should do/try to make the PAB experience better? It's up to us (the participants).
Ah! Thats what those were! I couldn't figure out what they were, so didn't think they were something I could use. Thats too bad :/

I made sure to only take things I would USE, and put stuff in that i wasn't using. I think every time we've done it, the box has gotten progressively larger, so I think the problem this time was we went around 2x, so it just visited more people! I wonder if there is value to having it go through a 'purge' every once in a while? Someone who is tasked to just remove a bunch of stuff that has been in there a while.

I think just having this discussion will influence behavior. People will be more likely to pull out some of the larger pieces and not feel self-conscious about it.

Like @ErichKeane , I had no idea what those handles were, so they kept traveling. On the other side of that, when I put the box back together, I left out a small cardboard container of tiny springs. The container is about the size of a short pencil. I haven't the first clue as to what these might be. Maybe an optional sheet describing the items we put in would be helpful. "This turning holder requires CCMT0602 bits", "Handles for Kant-Twist vise", "Little springs. Short variety", "Oddly shaped cast-iron for rare lathe you don't own, but have been looking at on Craigslist." Just knowing what some of the stuff is would encourage more "taking".

I agree with Shotgun, good idea. I'm sure how you could keep it all together for very long but his idea.

I didn't know what the handles were so i spent a few minutes looking them up. Once i figured out what they were i discovered they were the wrong size for the clamps i have - otherwise i would have kept a few.

Looking up items takes time and we want to keep the box moving so it is a bit of a burden. I did notice some items did have a tag/description which was handy but i will admit i put items in there that i wasn't sure what exactly it fits so there's that! :)

I really appreciate the feedback you guys are giving. As someone that has sat on the sidelines watching, you have encouraged me to get involved the next go around.

I really like the idea of labeling items since I would have no clue on what some items would be.

Been fun watching you post your finds. The F bomb cracked me up since I've never heard of that.

I think the weight limit suggestion is a good one for this reason: it would probably allow for more careful packaging. I thought a number of items could have been packed with more care. Not blaming anyone; the amount of items (when I saw it) made this quite difficult. That said: I don't think the weight limit needs to be absolute. A couple bits of material/stock can easily have a lot of weight as someone pointed out. As long as all stuff in the box is well packaged: that's arguably the more important part.

I do think 40-45lbs is about the highest practical limit in terms of package survivability. :grin:

Yes, I'm OCD about packaging; hate to see good tooling get ruined because of rough handling.

The conversation is running faster than I can digest it all. I'll backtrack and review when I have more time to focus.

Thank you all and keep it up.

I had a good time looking through the PAB. Felt pretty self-conscious about not taking more than I put back. Stuff in the box was alot of treasures and it was hard to pass on some but thought all the time about not taking more than I had to return. It's kind of like Christmas. I will gladly sign-up next year but only if I feel I have decent stuff to give.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back