Pass Around 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m sorry guys I though I had posted my picks of the haul. :faint: I had so much going on last week I must have forgot.
I would like to say thank you to who put this gem in the pab. I recently picked up a 5” bison 3jaw for my RT. This back plate will adapt me to the RT. Along with a box on inserts and a cool little mic. Thanks again!
Man I didn’t know the f bombs would be such a hit I’ll stock up for the next round. Have other cool ones too.
DC66DC57-C0E1-410D-BE18-1F495166044A.jpeg

I have had time enough to develop an opinion about one of the ideas put forward. Regarding the suggestion that participants include, with their additions to the PAB, some text about what the item is.

I, for one won't do that. It has a few problems, but most of all it smacks of the PC syndrome and pandering to the lowest possible common denominator, which I'm not a fan of.

Alternatively, if you see something in the box, don't know what it is and care, simply post a question here. Describe the item (dimensions, material, features, markings) and ask 'What is it?'. I haven't yet reviewed the 'Rules' to verify that asking 'What is it?' won't violate any, but I will.

That approach eliminates the burden for all participants to imagine what items need an explanation and for preparing same. It also eliminates the practical difficulty of keeping an explanation connected to the item and legible.

Rather than preparing item descriptions, instead redirect your energy to adequate packaging to protect and preserve the condition and value of all contents.

I have had time enough to develop an opinion about one of the ideas put forward. Regarding the suggestion that participants include, with their additions to the PAB, some text about what the item is.

I, for one won't do that. It has a few problems, but most of all it smacks of the PC syndrome and pandering to the lowest possible common denominator, which I'm not a fan of.

Alternatively, if you see something in the box, don't know what it is and care, simply post a question here. Describe the item (dimensions, material, features, markings) and ask 'What is it?'. I haven't yet reviewed the 'Rules' to verify that asking 'What is it?' won't violate any, but I will.

That approach eliminates the burden for all participants to imagine what items need an explanation and for preparing same. It also eliminates the practical difficulty of keeping an explanation connected to the item and legible.

Rather than preparing item descriptions, instead redirect your energy to adequate packaging to protect and preserve the condition and value of all contents.
Posting that question I think would violate the spirit of the box, since it would be revealing items before they show up for folks! 95% of the fun is the surprise and exploring, and folks asking about it would ruin that.

Posting that question I think would violate the spirit of the box, since it would be revealing items before they show up for folks! 95% of the fun is the surprise and exploring, and folks asking about it would ruin that.

I hear you, but it's only one item, of many, in the box.
No picture involved.
My impression is that a few participants would have some nice Kant-Twist handles if they had asked 'What is it?'.
The spirit of H-M is answering questions.
The question could be asked of the supervising Staff member in a PM.
Another alternative: take a picture of the item(s) in question and start a new 'What is this?' thread.
That would disassociate the item from the PAB.

I guess if you don't what it and it looks cool, take it and send the box on. Then ask what it is. If you never use it sent it on the next you get the PAB. This was my first time at the box and didn't have much to put back in it, so I didn't take much. There were a couple things that looked pretty cool, one for sure would have ended up hanging on the wall and would have lightened the box a couple pounds. Next time I won't be so bashful about taking things. I also have a better idea of what to put back in it.

I hear you, but it's only one item, of many, in the box.
No picture involved.
My impression is that a few participants would have some nice Kant-Twist handles if they had asked 'What is it?'.
The spirit of H-M is answering questions.
The question could be asked of the supervising Staff member in a PM.
Another alternative: take a picture of the item(s) in question and start a new 'What is this?' thread.
That would disassociate the item from the PAB.
Fwiw, on the kant twist handles I thought they were Allen key handles, so I wouldn't have ended up asking.

Reactions: kvt
Telling what you put in definitely violates the rules!

I’m sorry guys I though I had posted my picks of the haul. :faint: I had so much going on last week I must have forgot.
I would like to say thank you to who put this gem in the pab. I recently picked up a 5” bison 3jaw for my RT. This back plate will adapt me to the RT. Along with a box on inserts and a cool little mic. Thanks again!
Man I didn’t know the f bombs would be such a hit I’ll stock up for the next round. Have other cool ones too.
View attachment 430282
Cool, the backplate can also used by someone with a small PM, Weiss, or other 10x30 ish lathe.

John

Last edited:
Telling what you put in definitely violates the rules!
I just read the rules, are you referring to saying what you put in before somebody posts a picture or after?

Asking for a friend….

John

I just read the rules, are you referring to saying what you put in before somebody posts a picture or after?

Asking for a friend….

John
Before! Once someone takes something out of the box, its fine. But a big part of the 'excitement' of the pass-around box is the christmas-morning-esque event of opening and exploring everything that is in it! See rule 2!

"Do not take photos or create descriptions of the items you put into the box...the contents are meant to be a surprise for each participant."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back