1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. PLEASE: Read the FORUM RULES BEFORE registering!

Dismiss Notice

Phase Ii Wedge Quick Change Tool Post Qctp Question

Discussion in 'QUESTIONS & ANSWERS (Get Help Fast Here!)' started by Buggy Chief, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Buggy Chief

Buggy Chief United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Waxhaw
    State:
    North Carolina

-Return to Top-

Anyone have any issues being able to use the front tool post? I just bought one and the handle swings too far to the front and impedes putting a tool on as it needs to swing that far for the wedge to open up to accept tool.

Called Phase ii and no help at all....Thanks in advance!!

2. jbolt

jbolt United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Mountain View
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

This is due to the fit of the holder dovetail to the tool post dovetail. The tighter the fit the worse the condition is. Are they Phase II holders? I have compared a half a dozed different brands and found the import holders to vary in fit so sometimes it is the luck of the draw.

It would be interesting to compare the size of the dovetail on the tool post at the 3 o'clock position of the various brands.

3. Tozguy

Tozguy Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Drummondville
    State:
    Province du Quebec

-Return to Top-

Is your QCTP new or used?
    If it is used and was disassembled for cleaning, it might not have been reassembled properly.
    With nothing on the tool post can the handle rotate completely around 360 degrees?

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  4. Bob Korves

Bob Korves H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Sacramento
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Not quite sure what your configuration is. The "normal" setup is with one set of dovetails to the left (9:00) and the other dovetails forward (12:00.) In that configuration the handle should ideally tighten down at about 4:30. If it does not, then the unit can be taken apart and shimmed or trimmed in thickness to change the clock position where the handle stops. It may even be adjustable, not sure. My Phase II BXA post was perfect out of the box, after I figured out that one set of dovetails should be fit facing forward, the other left. YMMV. I have seen people add a new hole for the handle, but that is NOT necessary.

Chipper5783 likes this.
  5. Chipper5783

Chipper5783 Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Red Deer
    State:
    Alberta

-Return to Top-

My Phase II CXA was perfect, right out of the box. See comments above (needs to be clean, installed and assembled correctly). Is it just one holder, you can remove a very small amount from the flats on the back of the dove tail (i.e. abrasive paper on a sheet of glass)? If there is still an issue, on just the one face - perhaps you'd need to make a slight adjustment to one of the sliding tapered gibs (is it possible they got switched, one of them is off by one tooth?).

6. ndnchf

ndnchf United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Fredericksburg
    State:
    Virginia

-Return to Top-

The manufacture can't predict how thick your compound is. The thickness of the piece that locks into the slot may need to be milled on the top a little. This will allow the handle to swing a little further back. I have a PhII AXA on my 12" Atlas. Both front and side dovetails work, but its close on the front one due to handle position. I need to shave a little off the block to get it where I want it, just haven't done it yet.

7. Bob Korves

Bob Korves H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Sacramento
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

The compound does not come into the fit of the sliding wedges and the tool holder. That is all in the tool post block itself. The t-nut and stud go all the way through the tool post block, not interacting with anything until the nut on the top.

8. Tozguy

Tozguy Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Drummondville
    State:
    Province du Quebec

-Return to Top-

My Phase II is a piston type. I don't know about wedge type but this is where the handle settles when tight.

IMG_0074.JPG

I would make double sure that the tool post is assembled properly before doing any trimming or shimming.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2016
  9. Reeltor

Reeltor United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Lawrenceville
    State:
    Georgia

-Return to Top-

I don't have a PhaseII but ran into the same problem when I first got my QCTP. IIRC, I just had to reposition the handle so that it released and locked the wedge at a different location. Unless Phase II is totally different than my cheap China knockoff you shouldn't have to file/sand or remove any metal. As some posted you may just need to take it apart, clean, relube and reassemble with the handle at a slightly different position on the clock.

10. ndnchf

ndnchf United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Fredericksburg
    State:
    Virginia

-Return to Top-

Bob - you are correct, my mistake. I didn't think it all the way through before responding. Thanks

11. epanzella

epanzella United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Higganum
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

The piston type QCTP that came with my G4003G had the handle indexed so that it was a PIA to use both the dovetails. I tapped a hole for the handle 30 degrees either way from the existing hole. I actually only needed one of them as once I moved it I never had to move it again.

ch2co likes this.
  12. JR49

JR49 United States Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Lakeside
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

My Phase II AXA was exactly the same as you describe. I tried many times to "unscrew" the wedges and start them in a different position, but they always ended up in the same place making it hard to get a holder on that front position. I finally drilled a new hole about 1/2" away from original (going clockwise), tapped it for M8X1.25 and installed the original handle. All is great now, I only wish I had done it a long time ago. Hope this helps, Merry Christmas, JR49

ch2co likes this.
  13. Buggy Chief

Buggy Chief United States Active Member Active Member

City:
    Waxhaw
    State:
    North Carolina

-Return to Top-

Thanks for all the help here. To answer a post earlier, mine is brand new.
    Mine locks at about 4:30 and unlocks around 1:00. The 9:00 dovetails work no problem, however the 12:00 dovetails are a no go unless I unscrew the handle and then screw it back in once the tool is on the dovetails. I am not sure how to reposition the handle as I have taken it apart and it seems to reassemble the same.

I called Phase II and the guy I talked to said, "it is what it is"...not really going to be able to use the 12:00 dovetails. Not what I wanted to hear and I am quite sure if I pony up for an Aloris, that I would be able to use both dovetails. Before throwing in the towel and buying an Aloris, I am going to drill another hole and tap it as described above. Thanks again for all the input!!!

Philco likes this.
  14. ronboult

ronboult Australia Active User Active Member

City:
    Macleay Is, Brisbane

-Return to Top-

I am unable to understand your last comment. If the handle locks a tool holder when in the 9 o'clock position why won't it lock when you place the tool holder at 12 o'clock . Is the problem that the handle has to move so far anticlockwise that you cannot get the tool holder onto the wedge? If so, it seems as though the wedge width is different in the two positions. This suggests that your qctp is faulty. My BXA phase 11 does not have this problem.
    Cheers
    Ron

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  15. epanzella

City:
    Higganum
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

The problem is not the locking but rather when the handle is unlocked as it extends over the dovetail area making it difficult or impossible to slide on the tool holder.

16. JR49

City:
    Lakeside
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

They say "A Picture is Worth a Thousand Words", a quick fix (although I shouldn't have had to fix it !!) fixed tool post resized.jpg

Ulma Doctor likes this.
  17. epanzella

City:
    Higganum
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

Yeah, that's what I had to do to mine. I tapped two holes, one on either side of the original but only one was actually necessary. My old brain couldn't figure out every possible combination so I played CYA while I had the parts set up in my drill press for the angle.

18. ronboult

ronboult Australia Active User Active Member

City:
    Macleay Is, Brisbane

-Return to Top-

Hi again Buggy Chief and espanzella.

Following clarification of the problem I went and checked my BXA Phase 11. Here is what I found!

My BXA Phase 11 is around 1 year old.

With both genuine Phase 11 toolholders (supplied with the tool post as a kit ) and generic imported chinese tool holders the results are IDENTICAL.

My BXA Phase 11 is installed with one set of dovetails to the left (9 o'clock) and one set to the front (12 oclock)
    When I lock a tool holder in either location the lever locks at 45 deg to the right rear (4:30 o'clock) When locked in this position it interferes minimally with the operator!

However to unlock I only have to move the lever approx 45 deg anticlockwise ( 3 o'clock) to allow the tool holder to be completely free. It actually releases at about the 3:30 position. With the handle in the 3:00 o'clock position both tool holder positions are completely accessible.
    It looks like both your QCTP's are faulty and I would contact Phase 11 and complain.
    Ron

19. epanzella

City:
    Higganum
    State:
    Connecticut

-Return to Top-

I fixed mine 4 years ago so I doubt I'll be contacting anybody. Mine is not a phase II but a chinese import. Other than this minor glich it has performed well.

20. Randall Marx

Randall Marx United States H-M Supporter - Premium Content H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    Oscoda
    State:
    Michigan

-Return to Top-

I have a Chinese import AXA wedge toolpost that displays a similar unfriendly issue. However, I am able to get the tool holder into the 12:00 position with the operating handle not quite into the full-unlock position against the internal stop. I unlock fully, then move the handle clockwise to a point that the tool holder will just clear it to remove or place it on the post. It is sort of a 'barely' kind of thing, but it works for me.

21. JR49

City:
    Lakeside
    State:
    California

-Return to Top-

Randall, What you describe, is exactly how mine worked. That's why I put up with it for almost 2 years (see my 2 posts above). But believe me, once I took the time to fix it, (only a couple hours, probably less for someone more experienced), I wish I had done it much sooner. It not only makes it easier to mount the tool, but it also puts the handle, when locked, in a more out of the way spot. Happy New Year, JR49