Picked Up A Craftsman Drill Press Today

I want it, but I have no place to put it. I still have a 5000lb mill to find room for.

Then I'm also looking for a lathe :)

Looks like its time for a bigger building! :D

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

I wish I could. Just not going to happen right now.

What is the model number of the drill press?

From what I can find it was made in 1954.

OK. Several sources say that 103. is Sarlo Power Mower. One source says it is also King Seely. For a parts list, you might try Sears Parts Direct. They have or at least did have a lot of Atlas/Craftsman parts lists from the 1930's and 1940's. Drawings/photos were pretty bad, though.

Says on the tag it's made by King Seely.

I found and downloaded a manual for it. I only looked at it briefly so don't know if it had a parts list.

Other than a new cord at first glance it doesn't seem to need any parts. I'll probably consider replacing the spindle and motor bearings, but for now it runs so quietly they may be just fine.

It's in amazing condition considering it is 61 years old, it has lead a very charmed life.

It would be nice to get a new tag for the base, someone spray painted the base and got overspray on the tag.

Alloy,
I like your drill press, Mine is identical except there was no refurb required,mine is immaculate the table doesn't have any holidays at all, the chuck on mine is like new.
I had two other 8" drill presses and I sold them for $80.00 and $55.00 respectively on Craigslist and that almost covered the cost for the Craftsman drill press.$150.00. Mine is also Model #103.23641
also made by King Sealy here are a few photos of mine also I downloaded the manual with the parts exploded view from Vintage machinery.org mine is also very quiet when running
There are no parts available from Sears Parts Direct I've checked, so don't get your hopes up there.
Anyway Nice find once you get it cleaned up you"ll love using it.
Regards
dgehricke

DSC00047.JPG Craftsman drill press motor.JPG Craftsman Drill Press W: LED light.JPG Drill Press base.JPG Drill Press Table.JPG

electrolysis and a wire wheel will get all of that rusted stuff looking like new. Super cheap too. The drill chuck from the lathe Jim gave me looked worse than that and it's now in excellent condition. For that model plate, you can get the drive screws out by cutting a slot in the top with a dremel and using a screwdriver. Worked a treat the few times I've done it.

Didn't you already get a lathe - a Clausing? Or are you after something CNC to go with your mill?

The wrench looks similar to one I had at one point for doing the oil plugs on some old rear ends. They had them into a bad spot to get at. At times I think the people that make cars and trucks that require special tools do it just so that their friend in another company can sell the tools. Like your drill press, I'm still looking for what I want, It needs to be a floor model rather than a bench model.

Back