Picked up a new Logan 2557V

Well, I bought a factory TP grinder back in 1982 when I bought my Atlas 3996. In the ensuing 35 years I've used it at most five times. However, I wouldn't consider getting rid of it because when you do need one, there is no substitute (except for paying someone else to do the job).

I'd be interested to know who did the bed grinding and spindle metalizing and how much it cost. It's probably one of the more economical places in the country to get it done.
Out here, in the west, not so much.
Mark S.

Well, I bought a factory TP grinder back in 1982 when I bought my Atlas 3996. In the ensuing 35 years I've used it at most five times. However, I wouldn't consider getting rid of it because when you do need one, there is no substitute (except for paying someone else to do the job).
True statement. This lathe did have the chuck jaws touched up with a grinder. But the nose piece for the collet closer could use a touch up, I can feel some slight bumps left from wear.

I'd be interested to know who did the bed grinding and spindle metalizing and how much it cost. It's probably one of the more economical places in the country to get it done.
Out here, in the west, not so much.
Mark S.
He told me the name of both outfits, I think both were in or around the greater ChicagoLand area (I know the bed grinding was). I do not know the cost, and did not want to ask. I do know the seller did the scraping himself. Kind of an odd feeling having new ways and pulling the compound and seeing scrape marks.

Understood, I wouldn't have wanted to remind him either if he ended up raising the price. Sounds like it still has the original bearings. I've heard they aren't available new anymore.
MS

Well, one thing about a new looking 53 year old lathe with presumably old motor ... check the motor wiring. I was digging into wiring last night (getting prepared for the VFD arrival today) and opened up the peckerhead only to find crispy crunchy insulation on the motor leads.

So, VFD is here and motor is at the shop getting the leads replaced ... and all I can do is sit & look at the lathe, LOL.

I like this lathe a bunch!! So nice to tweak the RPM with the dial. Runs very quiet when not in back gear and the gear drive for the lead screw disengaged. When either or both are engaged ... well it sounds like any other Logan.

Obviously I have the motor back and VFD installed. Using the drum switch as a control switch for the VFD, so For/Stop?Rev are as original. I think at some point I may ad an E-stop and a jog button. You can't just lift the lid to release belt tension and hand spin the chuck like the old 200 ... so the jog will be nice. Finished off some hockey puck leveling feet tonight, so hopefully tomorrow I will have time to level it up.

When either or both are engaged ... well it sounds like any other Logan.
I know a lot of people don't like using grease on a lathe but some open gear grease will quiet those gears down. The stuff I use (can't remember the brand) drys so it's not sticky. If you get any on your clothes it will be there forever more.

Yep, already picked some up Chuck. Although I'm not particularly sure I like it (NAPA open gear grease). I am not opposed to grease, I also hunted down some NLGI 00 grease. The nearest I can find out, this is what the Amovis 5X and Keystone 122-7x were. Those were the greases that Logan recommended for the gear well in the headstock and I think in the vari drive.

Yep, already picked some up Chuck. Although I'm not particularly sure I like it (NAPA open gear grease). I am not opposed to grease, I also hunted down some NLGI 00 grease. The nearest I can find out, this is what the Amovis 5X and Keystone 122-7x were. Those were the greases that Logan recommended for the gear well in the headstock and I think in the vari drive.
20170506_163822.jpg

I found a tube of Jax gear lube in some miscellaneous stuff from an auction. I was so impressed with it I contacted the company to find out where I could buy their products. The sales rep was great, but he told me they don't sell retail. He took my address and sent me a tube no charge. It only takes a small amount to coat all the gears on the back of a lathe. The tube will probably outlast me.

Back