Pictures of DRO installations on classic South Bend toolroom lathes?

Yes, I got the bend wrong and it tilts up. But the reader is mounted straight and it only needs to be held in one spot. Ugly but I can live with it.

If it proves too weak, I can run a brace over to the taper attachment frame. But so far it seems sturdy enough.

Yes, I could only get the good taps to go in about a half inch, but finishing with the bottoming tap was enough for the screws that came with the scales. A bigger problem was the holes wandered off square in that gooey steel.

I drilled these in my old press—230 RPM. That’s pretty slow for a drill that size, but that’s what that stuff needed. The 350 RPM slow speed of my better press was too fast. Bigger holes tolerated it better than smaller holes.

When I broke the tap, I had to set it aside for a week while I thought dark thoughts. I even bought an aluminum bar 1/2 x 1-1/2 to remake it. But the new drills in the same McMaster order worked better.

Rick “at least the bandsaw would cut it” Denney

The Z axis is installed and the DRO is operational. (It’s labeled Y axis on the head unit, of course.) It was a LOT easier than the X axis, for probably obvious reasons.

IMG_1582-dsqz.JPG

I mounted the tail end as close to the end of the bed as I could without invading the curve of the casting on the end. I will still run out of scale by maybe an inch if I rack the carriage up against the tailstock at its most extreme position, but I keep a micrometer stop clamped in the ways at the end and it will stop the carriage before the reader hits the end of the scale. I could move the reader closer to the head end of the carriage and solve that problem, but where I mounted it is convenient.

IMG_1580-dsqz.JPG

Mounting was just drilling 4.2mm pilot holes in the bed casting at each end of the scale and tapping them for the 5mm x 0.8mm screws that came with the scales. I like cast iron.

Aligning the scale was not made any easier by the fact that the scales are extruded aluminum and not machined straight. But I found a position that got it without ten thou over its length both horizontally and vertically.

I used a couple of the aluminum brackets that came with the scales to mount the reader.

IMG_1574-dsqz.JPG

The bracket mounts to the back of the carriage adjacent to the bracket I made for the X axis reader. They are tight against each other and will help keep each other aligned. But the aluminum and steel combination is butt-ugly. Perfect for this lathe. :)

Calibrating the Z axis is a thousand times easier than the X axis, though I am now pretty happy with both. I clamped my better micrometer stop on the bed, zeroed out the Y axis…

IMG_1570-dsqz.JPG

IMG_1572-dsqz.JPG

…and then racked it out far enough to insert a 7” Brown and Sharpe micrometer standard. I’m happy with the result.

IMG_1573-dsqz.JPG

Shorter standards got similar results.

All that’s left is cleanup and switching the X axis to read diameter. And check it with an actual turning.

Next up is seeing if the surplus tailstock I bought is closer to being straight than the one on the lathe.

Rick “traveled every week for the last seven—glad to get this done” Denney

Both my scales aim down. Any real risk in not installing the dust covers? The X axis is doable but the Z axis reader bracket gets in the way.

Rick “both fairly protected, it seems to me” Denney

Back