PM 1340GT Lathe (Next-Step) VFD Control System with Proximity Stop Update

Sounds like you would have been far better off just buying Mark's system.

Undoubtedly, I could have purchased Mark's system and built my own box for substantially less than what I paid for that bloody box and been way better off. BUT, I didn't, que sera, sera.
Alex

Mark, you do amazing work! I bought an Eisen 1440E single phase, swapping the motor to 3 phase.
I’ve been reading the different 1440GT builds/conversions, but not sure which plan to use. I have built three control panels using the Delta VFD-B, integrating with modbus and Mach3.
My systems aren’t as advanced, so I’d love to use your design if possible. Do you have a fee, or take donations for your plans?

Last edited:
Here's a photo of my new front panel thanks to Mark. It is from Mark's file and made by Front Panel Express. It needed a tiny bit of fitting but it was no big deal and it turned out really well.

I like it a lot and it dressed up the front of the machine. It really augments and polishes my PM1340GT up over what I had done to the factory panel when I installed Mark's system earlier this year.

Thanks Mark for doing all the work to get this panel designed and sourced.

new front plate.jpg

Does look very classy Alan, I finally weakened and am having Mark make me a new control system for my 1340GT. I almost feel guilty using his services as he provides all of us such a great service bloody near for free (labour wise I mean). I'm really looking forward to getting my unit up and running - it's been in the shop since late August and I just got power pulled in a week ago, couple more weeks and the lathe should be making round things. YES!
Alex

Thanks Alex and congrats on ordering a Jacobs Control System. There is a 100% probability that you will like it!

I am betting you are planning on getting you a front panel on order as well. You might want to check the dimensions carefully and make sure they are the same as Mark's. Mine was about 1 mm more narrow than Mark's. I took care of that with a 12" disc sander so it was not a big deal.

Alan: Indeed I am getting that panel, looks too cool not to! He's relocated the stop button to the end of the panel rather than the middle - other than that mine should be identical to yours. Thanks for the comment about panel size, I'll have to look at the dimensions in the AM and let Mark know although I suspect it's ordered by now so I may have to tweak it a bit as with your, no biggie.
Alex

Got my 1340GT basically in place now and power to it. As Mark knows I spent a stupid amount of $ getting a "CSA" approved box to hold the breakers and VFD so I'm trying to finish up the connection to power without (at least at this point) spending another $1500 Canadian to purchase Marks obviously fabulous system just yet. I've been trying to source proper VFD cable such as is recomended and without buying 100 or more feet seem unable to source it. I currently have power run from the VFD with simple 12-3 cables in a BX housing which I know is NOT a good idea. Not sure if in reality a 6 foot run will be an issue but I'd rather not find out if I can source the correct cable.
I've done the basic rewire of the system in the lathe as per Mark's description but the leads to the 220 side of the 240/24V output transformer are broken (presumably by me although I don't know how) so I've ordered a new 24 volt power supply to replace the transformer (I know I could have run 110V power into the transformer as that lead is intact)View attachment 245652View attachment 245653.
I've attached a pic of the box I had built - it is pretty but roughly triple the cost of buying parts and building my own. The consolation being if it explodes my insurance carrier can't say I did not play by the rules. The addition of stop and start switches by the installer was apparently his idea - no questions asked take it or leave it and he had my VFD and braking resister. I'll disconnect the on-off switches as they really are useless.

Alex, nice to see you making some progress there.

Did you mount the braking resistor in the VFD housing as I can't see it in there. (unless that's what I see at the very bottom of the picture)

I have been in a similar situation with being "bullied" into accepting something I didn't ask for and being charged excessively for the pleasure.

At the time it feels brutal, but it usually makes us better at being more clear in our instructions and most importantly we find better and usually less expensive ways of doing things.

Once in a while I actually find myself saying "thank you for ripping me off", I can now learn something new here and get more self sufficient.

Good call on ordering the MJSK Control System, I have been considering ordering from Mark as well.

I am capable of doing my own basic system but my workmanship is sometimes not acceptable to owner of the lathe (me) and I'm very fussy about that it looks professional so I will probably end up ordering from Mark as well.

What wire and how much are you looking for, I might have an off cut that could work for you.

Cheers,

David.

David: Thanks for the thoughts with the wire but part of Mark's supply is anything I'll need so I'm good. As far as building my own system, I did give it some thought actually as it ain't rocket science. However, even if you simply wanted to duplicate Mark's system in Canada the cost to obtain the materials is very significantly higher than in the US. We have as a group an OUTSTANDING opportunity to avail ourselves of a very bright guy's expertise and experience to build these systems. For what Mark is charging me I don't believe I could build his system in Canada even with free labor.
The Braking resistor shows better in this pic up at the top of the box.
As to being hosed on the power supply box, there is a lot of truth to what you said about a "learning" experience. It's a long story how I ended up in that mess and mostly my own fault for not asking enough questions.
Hell of a snowstorm up here - I just spent 2 hrs with my snowblower clearing my driveway and I'm supposed to live in a desert, at least Halloween evening was nice for the kids

Alex
IMG_0442.JPG

Appreciate the complements, I try to build the control systems using very good components and quality wire without going over the deep end. As mentioned, in most cases when you add minimum ordering quantity and shipping for a single system it gets expensive. This is why I often recommend going with the basic VFD system build. Time wise I put 18-20 hours into building each system, the P senor assembly I make in batches of 5 and usually spend about 10 hours making parts. Having built quite a few different VFD systems, I have refined the building/materials and figured out what works and what doesn't. I have been fine tuning the front panel, my stock lathe front panel is a touch wider, but the new custom Front Control Panel is now 1.0 mm narrower in width. Alex, your panel will be ordered later today, I am just double checking everything pefore I submit the order. One upside of building these systems with this new custom front control panel, is that one can use a standard 3/8" hole speed pot, which is 1/2 the price of the 22mm and more easily replaceable. Plus I mount everything in the panel, so one less thing to assemble. This along with the socket connectors has significantly decreased install time, but adds ~2 hours to my build time.

Back