PM Matthews Taiwanese Mills' Quality

Price and space are always an object. Especially at my age. I've already gone the restoration route w/ a Delta drill press made in '34, a much newer Unisaw, two motorcycles, etc. Now, I'd rather learn how to use the machine rather than restore one, and make stuff I want to make. Having made do with my HF toy, anything has to be better but I've managed with it. I expect a better, somewhat larger mill will expand my envelope...so to speak.
I agree; while I'm happy with what I can do with (and have done to) my Mini-Lathe & Mini-MIll, if I had the resources I have the space to replace them with "Bench" versions (10 x 22 lathe & 7 x 24 mill). However, depending on which scales were available for factory installation, I would probably install my own selection of scales with TouchDRO adapters, so all-in I'm probably looking at $12K, which is not in the foreseeable future. Also, for that money I could probably pick up the 10" Hardedge and a small knee mill from my soon-to-be-retiring machinist friend, but they would a) not fit and 2) would need some work (deep cleaning if nothing else).

I would like to see some PM machines close-up, and am surprised that they haven't been (and aren't scheduled to be) at Cabin Fever: it's only a 4 hour trip for them.

I have purchased a new Bridgeport in 1980 fully tool with DRO and chrome ways it was only $11,500.00 and 11 month wait.
Today thay is $42,500.
I would not do again.

Dave
I never had the money to buy a new Bridgeport' but I bout 3 used ones, 2 cream puffs and a train wreck....

I agree; while I'm happy with what I can do with (and have done to) my Mini-Lathe & Mini-MIll, if I had the resources I have the space to replace them with "Bench" versions (10 x 22 lathe & 7 x 24 mill). However, depending on which scales were available for factory installation, I would probably install my own selection of scales with TouchDRO adapters, so all-in I'm probably looking at $12K, which is not in the foreseeable future. Also, for that money I could probably pick up the 10" Hardedge and a small knee mill from my soon-to-be-retiring machinist friend, but they would a) not fit and 2) would need some work (deep cleaning if nothing else).

I would like to see some PM machines close-up, and am surprised that they haven't been (and aren't scheduled to be) at Cabin Fever: it's only a 4 hour trip for them.
I called PM to ask if they had some of their bench mills in a showroom. I was told they do not have a showroom, but would be happy to uncrate whatever I was interested in looking at and make an appointment for me to visit them. Kind of thwarts my usual way of shopping...to look and touch the item, think about it, and then buy it later.

I called PM to ask if they had some of their bench mills in a showroom. I was told they do not have a showroom, but would be happy to uncrate whatever I was interested in looking at and make an appointment for me to visit them. Kind of thwarts my usual way of shopping...to look and touch the item, think about it, and then buy it later.
Still think they should pack up a couple of machines and drive East next month.

Still think they should pack up a couple of machines and drive East next month.
If you can talk them into it, post it here. I have no doubt some members would be interested. Considering the weight of even their smallest mill, it would be a considerable undertaking unless they had a permanent display set up in a big truck (semi?) that they just drove to various shows around the country.

The costs of a booth at almost all of the various trade shows would probably lift your eyebrows far higher than you'd like. For example, here in Cleveland, the venues are almost all union run, and if you want electricity, you have to pay a union electrician a few hundred dollars to plug in an extension cord. And no, you cannot plug in the cord yourself. I've heard numerous complaints from exhibitors at shows I've attended.

If you can talk them into it, post it here. I have no doubt some members would be interested. Considering the weight of even their smallest mill, it would be a considerable undertaking unless they had a permanent display set up in a big truck (semi?) that they just drove to various shows around the country.

The costs of a booth at almost all of the various trade shows would probably lift your eyebrows far higher than you'd like. For example, here in Cleveland, the venues are almost all union run, and if you want electricity, you have to pay a union electrician a few hundred dollars to plug in an extension cord. And no, you cannot plug in the cord yourself. I've heard numerous complaints from exhibitors at shows I've attended.
LMS trucks slightly smaller mills from LA to Cabin Fever (along with customers orders of machines & smaller stuff for pickup). As I’m not in the market at this time it wouldn’t be appropriate for me to ask them; however, if you are planning on attending and since you are actively shopping you could ask.

Having worked for manufacturers & design firms that exhibit at major trade shows I am very familiar with the costs and issues involved. While I am not aware of what the costs are for Cabin Fever, it is hardly a major trade show. If Jensen models can afford to attend every year, I would think that PM could make it occasionally.

Kind of thwarts my usual way of shopping...to look and touch the item, think about it, and then buy it later.
Don't hesitate to visit them. I live in Pgh and have been there several times. They are always very helpful. They have a large clean shop area for set up work, with operating machinery that they use to install options etc. They will let you spend as much time with a piece of equipment that you might need to get comfortable or leave it unpacked and let you come back later. The facility is very large and worth seeing. Lots of inventory both of machines and spare parts. You will be impressed. Matt has set up and runs a very clean and beneficent business and has grown this business considerably from when he first started out... and he continues to put a lot of time into the business. If I did not mention it, Matt is a machinist not a sales guy. He has very low personnel turn over because he treats folks right, both employees and customers! You will be able to see things much better than you could at a trade show.

Dave L.

Don't hesitate to visit them.
I would visit if they were a 2 hour drive, but not the 4+ hours.

You will be able to see things much better than you could at a trade show.
Again, Cabin Fever is not a typical trade show: in my younger years (when I was 40) I attended machinery/tool shows and agree you don’t get much time unless you’re an industrial buyer. Cabin Fever is more like a big Flea Market, and you get ss much time as you need with vendors. The vendors include PM Research, LMS, Jensen Steam, A.R. Warner, Little Locos and Village Press, plus a number of smaller businesses.

There is no reason for PM to show at Cabin Fever, their machines sell well enough to hobbyists and have a big enough back order list, that it wouldn’t gain them much, if anything. It might be worth having a small booth for their accessories that they can sell on site, but showing actual machines would be very costly. If PM was to do a show, they would be better off at Eastec or PMTS and bring their bigger industrial sized machines to show to a market that doesn’t know them very well.

Back