POTD- PROJECT OF THE DAY: What Did You Make In Your Shop Today?

In the process of cleaning up around the shop, I decided this 10" 4 jaw chuck that came with the Monarch 12CK needed a go through. Took it apart, scrubbed everything off, an hour or so in evapo-rust, and a light oiling.
IMG_5467.JPGIMG_5470.JPG

IMG_5469.JPG

It is a combo chuck, meaning it has a scroll and independent adjustment for each jaw. After cleaning it up I found a rather faint mark,
Union mfg co, New Britain, Conn, and their logo (two hands clasped as if shaking hands) and a part number S284 100D-1. A little search on vintagemachinery.org shows it was $341 in 1942, which means it may be an original accessory or bought to go with the 1944 lathe. It is also stamped "steel", as an upgrade from "semi-steel" chucks. The jaws are a bit sloppy but still worth keeping. Cleaning it up certainly made it smoother.

Attachments

• IMG_5468.JPG
    IMG_5468.JPG
    364.9 KB · Views: 10
My Father had a '64 E type Jaguar. Sold it `15 or so yrs ago. Last night I dreamed that I bought it from him, and started welding in metal where the body had rusted through. Don't know where that came from. Maybe the rabies vaccine I took yesterday (23 years and the rule to not play with animals here did well for me. only took one momentary lapse of reason...). Only 4 more doses to go... I guess being here in Asia with no access to tools, projects, or my shop is wearing on me....
Saw an E several days ago..an early 3.8-liter roadster. Just lovely. Don’t now how the owner avoided the rust of the unibody that is the usual death of E’s, but it was flawless. May be the most beautiful car ever made.

I also dreamed about my father recently; context remembered. In my dream, he was about the age I am now. Sigh.

Rick “enjoyed seeing his face” Denney

In the process of cleaning up around the shop, I decided this 10" 4 jaw chuck that came with the Monarch 12CK needed a go through. Took it apart, scrubbed everything off, an hour or so in evapo-rust, and a light oiling.
View attachment 490389View attachment 490392

View attachment 490391

It is a combo chuck, meaning it has a scroll and independent adjustment for each jaw. After cleaning it up I found a rather faint mark,
Union mfg co, New Britain, Conn, and their logo (two hands clasped as if shaking hands) and a part number S284 100D-1. A little search on vintagemachinery.org shows it was $341 in 1942, which means it may be an original accessory or bought to go with the 1944 lathe. It is also stamped "steel", as an upgrade from "semi-steel" chucks. The jaws are a bit sloppy but still worth keeping. Cleaning it up certainly made it smoother.
oh man, that's great having a scroll and independent. You basically can use that all the time as a set tru chuck, except when using hex parts.

23 years later, I finally replaced the drawer front. I finally realized that my mill can cut the slits I needed for the drawer. That's been the show stopper. I was considering using a multitool, but I was bothered by the inaccuracy of that.

PXL_20240518_143929536.jpg

PXL_20240518_144043195.jpgPXL_20240518_144022509.jpgPXL_20240518_144049121.jpgPXL_20240518_144111939.jpg

PXL_20240518_145209491.jpg
edit: I would love to refinish the cabinet. I don't know why they painted it, but it's a gorgeous mahogany underneath. I had a leak above that destroyed the top which was veneered, but the rest looks good. Maybe one day, especially if my son wants it. I got this at a garage sale for $15. it included a 2 drawer file cabinet side by side. I wish I could just strip the paint without affecting the varnish underneath, as it is a nice dark color.
PXL_20240518_151639863.jpg

Last edited:
oh man, that's great having a scroll and independent. You basically can use that all the time as a set tru chuck, except when using hex parts.
True, but he three jaw is more accurate in that sense. With this combo setup, there are three places for backlash in the jaws. Jaw carrier to independent thread, independent thread to sub-jaw, and sub-jaw to scroll. This chuck is old enough to have some wear, so that backlash adds up. Works fine if you dial it in, and the scroll makes for quick open/close, but the repeatability is a bit rough.

In the process of cleaning up around the shop
Me too ! Spent last night going thru crap in the garage and trying to gain some space . Camping stuff mixed in with Christmas stuff . :rolleyes: Tools everywhere ! Shot the BP with PB Blaster , looks GREAT . Moving tables around and gaining more space today . Still need to get rid of a few tool boxes but I'm packing them in out of the way . Not sure about the Kubota but the zero turn will now fit in the garage ! :encourage:

Me too ! Spent last night going thru crap in the garage and trying to gain some space . Camping stuff mixed in with Christmas stuff . :rolleyes: Tools everywhere ! Shot the BP with PB Blaster , looks GREAT . Moving tables around and gaining more space today . Still need to get rid of a few tool boxes but I'm packing them in out of the way . Not sure about the Kubota but the zero turn will now fit in the garage ! :encourage:
pics or it didn't happen... you have a track record of backfilling that empty space real quickly.... :no no no:

This took a lot of effort , but the Vidmars are all back in their original spots ! Im taking the large table down to the other house today . Next step is bringing 3 more roll arounds up to the garage . It's coming along but we can't seem to get 3 days straight without rain . :cussing:I did get the horseshoe pits made from extra 6 x6"s laying around and actually made them in the new found garage space ! :grin::encourage:

Attachments

• IMG_1323.JPG
    IMG_1323.JPG
    465 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1324.JPG
    IMG_1324.JPG
    499.7 KB · Views: 23
Back