Ran when Parked.

ltlvt

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Attached is the interface for my Blue DRO. This one I installed on my PM Mathews 833T about 3 years ago. Well I decided to use the little mill today since it already had the Boring Head in the spindle and the BP-Clone has a 3/4" end mill in it. Gona save some time right? I got the spindle centered on the hole I wanted and was all ready to bore it to depth. And wouldn't you know the Z -Axis was not moving at all when I would move the spindle up and down. After several dirty words I launched on a thorough investigation of WHY NOT! The Z was not working because the usb female connector on the board had been damaged. The old interfaces did not come with a good way to anchor them so it did not get anchored. Attached are a couple of pictures of what I found. I am going to try my luck at re soldering the connector and see if this works. If not I may just use one of the battery powered displays that came with the I-gage set to read the Z position.

Attachments

• IMG_2511.JPG
    IMG_2511.JPG
    264.9 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_2512.JPG
    IMG_2512.JPG
    185.1 KB · Views: 79
Attached is the interface for my Blue DRO. This one I installed on my PM Mathews 833T about 3 years ago. Well I decided to use the little mill today since it already had the Boring Head in the spindle and the BP-Clone has a 3/4" end mill in it. Gona save some time right? I got the spindle centered on the hole I wanted and was all ready to bore it to depth. And wouldn't you know the Z -Axis was not moving at all when I would move the spindle up and down. After several dirty words I launched on a thorough investigation of WHY NOT! The Z was not working because the usb female connector on the board had been damaged. The old interfaces did not come with a good way to anchor them so it did not get anchored. Attached are a couple of pictures of what I found. I am going to try my luck at re soldering the connector and see if this works. If not I may just use one of the battery powered displays that came with the I-gage set to read the Z position.

If this is really a Blu-DRO (i.e. you bough it from blu-dro.com), you might have a defective board. I had a batch of PCBs with a manufacturing defect (cold solder joints). I caught it pretty quickly, so I sold only about 6 or 7 of these directly, but some went to Blu-DRO. I sent Al (Blu DRO guy) replacement units from the next batch, and he was supposed to throw these away. Apparently he sold them too, so there are at least a couple dozen boards with bad solder joins under the USB connectors.

If you know how to rework SMT parts, you can easily reflow these (with some solder paste), or send the board to me and I will fix it. Shipping info is here: https://store.touchdro.com/policies/contact-information

Also, you can use the W input and map it to Z output in the app.

Regards
Yuriy

If this is really a Blu-DRO (i.e. you bough it from blu-dro.com), you might have a defective board. I had a batch of PCBs with a manufacturing defect (cold solder joints). I caught it pretty quickly, so I sold only about 6 or 7 of these directly, but some went to Blu-DRO. I sent Al (Blu DRO guy) replacement units from the next batch, and he was supposed to throw these away. Apparently he sold them too, so there are at least a couple dozen boards with bad solder joins under the USB connectors.

If you know how to rework SMT parts, you can easily reflow these (with some solder paste), or send the board to me and I will fix it. Shipping info is here: https://store.touchdro.com/policies/contact-information

Also, you can use the W input and map it to Z output in the app.

Regards
Yuriy
I can easily get by without the board while it is out for repair. My luck at repairing things like this little board are not too good since I am 72 years old and have shaky hands and wear Tri-Focal glasses. I will get it packed up and shipped to you. I can pay you for the repair and return shipping either thru Pay Pal or your choice of payment. If possible, I would like to get the improved box for mounting the board. If not possible I will just try to make some kind of mounting myself. Being unmounted is not a very good way to use it. Thanks for your rapid response.

Terry Cannon

I can easily get by without the board while it is out for repair. My luck at repairing things like this little board are not too good since I am 72 years old and have shaky hands and wear Tri-Focal glasses. I will get it packed up and shipped to you. I can pay you for the repair and return shipping either thru Pay Pal or your choice of payment. If possible, I would like to get the improved box for mounting the board. If not possible I will just try to make some kind of mounting myself. Being unmounted is not a very good way to use it. Thanks for your rapid response.

Terry Cannon
Terry,
Sounds good. I still have the files for the 3D printer, so I can print a "proper" enclosure for the board.
Regards
Yuriy

When I saw the title, I was thinking you were referring to a car. It reminded me of an ad in our local paper several years ago. Someone was trying to get rid of a 1972 Chevy Vega. The title of the ad in big bold letters was "RAN AT ONE TIME". I'm sure it did, but everyone I know that had one didn't have them running for long. The engines either fell apart, or they were totally destroyed in accidents that wouldn't be more than a fender bender to any other car.

When I saw the title, I was thinking you were referring to a car. It reminded me of an ad in our local paper several years ago. Someone was trying to get rid of a 1972 Chevy Vega. The title of the ad in big bold letters was "RAN AT ONE TIME". I'm sure it did, but everyone I know that had one didn't have them running for long. The engines either fell apart, or they were totally destroyed in accidents that wouldn't be more than a fender bender to any other car.
Yep heard that one many, many times when it comes to car sales. That is Zackly why I Titled it "Ran When Parked"

I will say the product has always worked fine. It just chose to unsolder itself. The only time the USB ports were used is when I originally installed it and plugged in the leads from the scales. I did not expect Yuriy to repair it but like any good businessman (good person) he takes pride in what he does. I commend him for this.

Yuriy I shipped the unit to you today. Inside the cover is a handwritten note with my email address and mailing address. Just let me know when and how much I owe you and I will take care of it.

My sincere thanks for your help.
Terry Cannon

Back