Rant: Big Brother Is Watching You!

My father passed away about 20 years ago. And I still get mail addressed to my house with his name on it? And I have moved once during that time! I have tried several times to inform to whoever that he has past. But, looks like I’m just wasting my time. It’s scary how some info gets stuck in the big picture/system and you can’t get rid of it.

what's even more scary is the amount and type of information others have on all of us.
Yeah! I have a couple of rentals. I was just clicking away on the old Google one day and stumbled onto a site that gave me ALL the renters that I had for the last 9 years! And all there possible relatives too! And there current location! WOW, that’s way too much free info and I think invades privacy!

Yeah! I have a couple of rentals. I was just clicking away on the old Google one day and stumbled onto a site that gave me ALL the renters that I had for the last 9 years! And all there possible relatives too! And there current location! WOW, that’s way too much free info and I think invades privacy!

A lot of this information was available way before the internet existed, it just required a lot more leg work to get your hands on it. For example I can remember going with my dad as a kid to some kind of archive to find information on a house he wanted to buy. After an hour or two of digging he knew who all the previous owners had been what they had paid to buy the house, and what they had sold it for.

I was just clicking away on the old Google one day and stumbled onto a site that gave me ALL the renters that I had for the last 9 years! And all there possible relatives too! And there current location!
Sure. They do a Web search for all the names they can find that are associated with that location. Every one of those people probably gave out their names and addresses to hundreds of Web sites. The quality of the data from these "dossier" sites is usually of very low quality, though.

I bet you have a Google account and let them set cookies and run scripts on your computer. The fact that you visited that site will have gone into Google's database.

A lot of this information was available way before the internet existed, it just required a lot more leg work to get your hands on it. For example I can remember going with my dad as a kid to some kind of archive to find information on a house he wanted to buy.
There were companies that published indexes and compilations, but they were expensive. The "archive" was the county land records.

There are sites that you can subscribe to that will give you info on anyone you choose, right down to police records. Suck it up people, the internet has made you public knowledge.

"Billy G"

Any record of a person that was kept in a place that the public could search is what is on the internet now. The websites containing the information have access to these records and do a search when a particular name is entered. Land records, court records, arrest records, birth records, etc. These are all searchable records that the sites get the information from.

All information was farmed and stored long before the Internet Age. Insurance companies keep some of the largest most comprehensive databases around.
Then the Credit Reporting companies started theirs. Then the Advertising sector got into the game. And then along comes the Net.
Agencies and department started selling info the info they had. So now the Ones that had been doing it all along started selling access to their databases.
It's the almighty Buck, not Big Brother that is driving it.

then the question becomes,
Do i or should I have a right to be compensated when someone uses my name, likeness, or information when they are profiting from the exchange of that same information?
I say YES

Back