Really Want A Mill, Need To Convince Wife!

Better have XXXXX you don't need than need XXXXX you don't have.

For the woman substitute XXXXX for shoes, dresses, handbags, jewellery etc. (Better have shoes you don't need than need shoes you don't have.)

For the man substitute XXXXX for tools. (Better have tools you don't need than need tools you don't have.)

Tell her not to worry, it doesn't have blond hair or burn gasoline!

Bruce

Reminds me of a gimmick used in the homebuilt aircraft community. Wives say "Heck no you aren't building an airplane!" Then tell the guys to default to "Okay, then I'm buying a motorcycle." Usually followed by "How long will it take to build a plane?"

Just sit down and have an honest talk with her.

Worse thing she can say is a "no" and you're no better (or worse) off than you are now.

Just don't try to sell her on "I'll make money with it". Contrary to popular opinion (IE: men), women aren't really dumb and they see right through that sort of thing. It's just going to come off as a ploy to get her to agree. They really don't like that sort of thing. No one does.

Just be honest, tell her you want it (not need it) to make parts for your bikes/cars/machines/etc you either can't get or can't buy reasonably and as a hobby in itself.

If you have the available cash and space, it shouldn't be a problem if she's a reasonable person. Despite our usual bravado and joking about wives, most are reasonable people (or you wouldn't be married to her).

If you learn to make a couple things that you can sell; great.

But it's just a bonus if it happens. Not a justification.

Last edited:
What I did was educate myself about mills, what is important to look at. what do I want (DRO, power feed, etc) vs what I need (a machine that is not wore out). Then save your money and keep your eyes open for a bargain.
When I told my wife I wanted a mill she asked, what for? I said to make stuff! I basically repair everything around the house and maintain old cars, tractors, lawn mowers and an old airplane. What we "save" by not having work done seems to make the wife ok with my shop and tools. Besides, if I wasn't in the shop I'd be in the house bugging her. She usually says, don't you have SOMETHING to do in the shop? hint, hint.

I did find my mill this summer, a J head Bridgeport, with DRO (wires cut), collets and two vices that was in decent shape. It was outside, wrapped in a tarp and it needed a new home. I brought it home, cleaned it, reconnected the DRO and started making chips. It cost $1500. Maybe not the steal of the century but a nice price for good mill with DRO.

IMG_20151015_185249513.jpg

Thanks for all the replies! Placing the order Monday. Trying to decide what tooling I actually need on one list and what I'd like to have on another. Decisions Decisions!

Reminds me of a gimmick used in the homebuilt aircraft community. Wives say "Heck no you aren't building an airplane!" Then tell the guys to default to "Okay, then I'm buying a motorcycle." Usually followed by "How long will it take to build a plane?"
One I heard was a guy finds a genie's lamp on the California coast. Rubs the lamp and the genie appears. Genie says, "I'll grant you one wish." I've always wanted to go to Hawaii but am afraid to fly and get sea sick. I want a bridge from LA to Hawaii. Genie replies, "Sir, do you understand the infrastructure needed to build a bridge to Hawaii! All of the concrete and steel for pilings, the yearly maintenance on the road surface, etc. Do you have another request?" "Sure, can you explain to me how a woman's mind works so I can completely understand the fairer sex?" Genie replies, "Do you want 2 or 4 lanes".

Bruce

Back