Really Want A Mill, Need To Convince Wife!

Just be aware. As others have said, it never ends. Tools and cutting tools, bits, and on and on. If you love it do it, but know that it is an addiction that can never be cured and never ends. You have two choices. Get rid of the lathe right now! OR...buy the mill. Buy the tooling for the mill. Buy the measuring instruments. Buy the bandsaw. Buy the welder. Buy the TIG welder. Buy the sandblaster. Buy the Grinders. Buy a drill press. Buy a cut-off saw. Buy a surface Grinder. Buy a bigger lathe. Buy a bigger mill. Buy more tooling. Buy replacement tooling. Buy better measuring instruments. Buy a bigger shop. Buy buffers and polishing tumblers and an anodizing line. Buy a paint oven and airbrushes.

If this seems complete, it's not. It never will be. Have I made any money? Well, I have, but not the $10's of thousands that I've put into this stuff. Would I do it again? NO WAY! Will I stop now? NO WAY! See, it's just like any other addiction, but worse, because it actually looks like you are doing something productive and things made of metal last a really long time, and it is sooooo handy to be able to make that part right now instead of having to wait for 6 months.

Any one of us could write a book and probably should. It would make more money. The bottom line is you can ask us, but there is no easy decision here!

I guess I'm pretty lucky, my wife never asks about my acquisitions and I volunteer very little info. We are both pretty frugal by nature and I have to say that most of my tools have more than paid their way over the years in my various business's. Can't say that about my machining tools as this is a fairly recent thing, and I have a feeling they never will, but I'm an old man and I WILL have my toys. Mike

There are a couple of special tools that I need for a vintage motorcycle I'm working. I'd also like to try some models (engines, cannons). I need to convince my wife that I can justify it. Do you think I could make any money with it? I'm pretty sure I could sell a few of the special tools on ebay since I saw one similar to what I need to make sell for $160. It was custom made. Don't think I could come close to selling enough to pay for a mill, at least not for a while. I do live in a high traffic tourist area and am amazed at what people buy. Has any body made any money selling models of cannons etc. I've seen wooden shelfs sell for $40 plus dollars. Just wondering. Thanks

OK Vincent- your question in your post hides your answer... I can only speak from my experience (and Im not a machinist- Im a hobby-hack that is really just getting started- but had the SAME ??? you did)

"Vintage Motorcycle" Hint one- Im sure you are not the only one riding on, caring for or restoring that brand/model or style... find bike shops online or custom rebuild places and offer your tools or parts to them. Get involved in any forum where those guys/gals lurk- put your name out there. Contact the bike magazines and ask for a review of your tool- ship one off and if its a good review- atta-boy and free press!

Here is my take on that one: I have a neighbor who needed a locking stud machined for his bike- I literally JUST got the lathe up and running the day before- cranked out 3 to make sure if I had screwed one up he would have a "good" one in the mix. He gave the other 2 away and within a month I had 3 other guys calling wanting to know if they could get lock pins "Like you did for Dave"

You mention cannons- doing a cannon for a tourist will earn you dust bunnies and no repeats for orders if it does not sell... Try finding a niche and getting as deep into that niche as possible (Like above with the tool or parts). Not to mention it has to be rendered non-firing unless you want the liability...

If the wife wants to take a trip- make it a business trip (yes- get a business license so its legal)... go somewhere like Elizabeth City or Edenton. While you are there visit and measure/photograph/catalogue and get as MUCH info on the cannons there- carriages, ships they came from, pictures of the crests... Visit the local museums and most importantly- get the names and addresses of the curators. Many of the coastal towns that are up and coming have rich naval histories (both Revolutionary and Civil War). Make a few sets of historically accurate models and take pictures of them- mail them to the curators and ask about putting a display up with your info. Offer a portion of the proceeds from each sale to the museum (So you get a tax write off and the museums "push" your products) and Give one to the museum for a benefit auction (another tax deductible contribution on your "business" part).

OK- So I'm a coastal guy for the cannons- maybe you do one based on "land battles" of NC in the Rev/Civil wars... its up to you! But the cool thing is you can get the wife out to the coast and do "research" for projects and its at least partially a write off!

I do know a fellow who has this "business model" for all the cannons in Savannah, GA. His set is based on all the cannons visible and on display to the public and his largest customer base (He says) is home school folks and Navy Officers. He offers a write up of each cannon as well as a historically accurate carriage/cradle. At least he was still offering it through the historical society back in 2001 when I met him.

OK- hope all is well in the 'Valley- good area- be safe and a LOT of good thoughts in the thread from other more experienced guys as well! Just my .02!

I guess I qualify as a tool addict. I have a motorcycle lift, drill press, band saw, gas torch set, wire welder, sand blast cabinet, 60 gal air compressor, parts washer, grinder, buffing wheels, 2 roll away tool boxes, angle grinders, drills etc and of course my Logan lathe. The really great thing is that I have tools from my father and grandfather. I would never part with those. The thing is, no matter how many you have you will always need one more.:big grin:

Why is it that so many husbands always seem to need "permission" to acquire these occasional long term fixed assets but the wives are free to fritter away funds on unimportant services and consumables?

Our assets potentially generate income, last for decades and appreciate over time.

Vince . Can you make money with a hobby shop ? The answer is sure you can , if you want to . Is it easy ? Is it fun ? Are you trying to get rich or make a few extra bucks for something you like doing ? It's up to you and the time you are willing to put into it .

My story is that I bought a BP , a saw and a lathe for my personal use . I was a machinist apprentice at the time . I made stuff for myself and enjoyed it very much . I cut all my oak molding for the house on the BP ! Wasn't long after , the word got around that I had equipment and people wanted things made . I made parts for a bag of tomatoes , couple of bucks or for free . At that point it was relaxing . Move on 11 years . The tool and die machine shop I was employed at shut down and at that point I was in a management position . Many of the sales people went into sub-contracting as they were also displaced . They knew I had the equipment available and the calls started coming in as to if I wanted to do a few light jobs . So I was young , married , had a mortgage etc , why not give it a try ?

These little machining jobs turned into a 16 hour a day " hobby ". I hired a younger friend of mine to come into my home for 8 hrs a day after his normal job , and I put in 8 hrs after my daytime job . I machined parts for most of the shops around Baltimore . It became very old very fast . You NEVER had the right tools for the job and were constantly buying them . Chips were everywhere and the house very quickly smelled like a true machine shop . We made money sure , but it got to the point when you got 1099s from the tax man , you started to deduct machines , tools , space etc. which is a real PITA . You will also encounter customers who won't pay there bills . Doesn't matter if you take them to court , they don't pay and no-one can force them to do so . I got burned on a $12,000 job when someone claimed bankruptsy . I still paid my guy and my tooling company , but the equipment owner will be the one to take the hit .

I did this for a few years then sold my large machines and packed up my expensive tooling 22 years ago , August 1993 . Boxes and boxes and boxes . I still have them and that is how I have spent much of the last 4 months , sorting thru and disposing of what I will no longer use . This past July , my friend who worked for me years back gave me a call asking me if I was interested in getting some equipment . My response was a quick NO WAY , but of course my curious side was interested . ( Bob ended up as the plant manager of the company I helped to build ) . So my NO WAY somehow got twisted into 3 mills , a lathe and that Johnson saw . I did sell 2 of the mills very quickly as I had them jammed into my garage , but I now once again have my hobby shop .

I will NEVER machine parts for a company again . Too old , too tired . My time with my family is worth more than anyone could pay me . I look at my equipment as support tools to help with my hobby of restoring tractors and anything old . I drink my beer , get a suntan , listen to the radio , cut up , carry on and have a great time doing so .

The day you make things for money , you instantly become busy . You are either " busy looking for work or busy doing that work " . Dave

And what JP stated above is very true . Delivery , accuracy and price are the drivers . You need 2 of the 3 to survive .
Oh how I yearn for the Tractor, Beer, Suntan, Radio days. Your truly my hero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I must say my wife doesn't really go in for shopping, shoes etc. I'm lucky in the respect she'd rather have a fast car. She's also an artist and likes flea markets. Guess I really am pretty lucky!

Why is it that so many husbands always seem to need "permission" to acquire these occasional long term fixed assets but the wives are free to fritter away funds on unimportant services and consumables?

Our assets potentially generate income, last for decades and appreciate over time.

I too wonder about this, but am thankful I am not one of these husbands. I just tell my wife what I want, then when funds are available (i.e., not draining the checkbook) I go ahead and get it.

And she does the same thing. :D

Maybe I'm lucky. My wife has her own part time sewing business. Once she got a job selling sewing machines and was able to purchase the top of the line embroidery sewing machine at a discount. Still, the price was in 4 figures and she thought that she would have to save another couple of months to buy it. I went to the business owner and paid the rest. Later after I retired, I wanted to buy a lathe. So I very carefully saved my money to buy the one lathe that I wanted. She came up to me and handed me several hundred dollars and said: here, now buy it. Her one condition was she wanted to be able to make some chips once a while (her father was a machinist). My biggest problem is get her away from her sewing and have her make chips which does enjoy. Marriage is a partnership, I will do whatever will make her happy and she will do whatever to make me happy.

If there is a hobby club in the area that deals with old iron, i.e. motorcycles, hot rods, and tractors, attend their shows with some home printed bissness cards.
When someone asks about prices, tell them the trilogy!

SPEED........PRICE.........QUALITY, you pick only TWO!!

Know your limits and, know your machines limits.

As for convincing the wife......forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission!;)

Sent from somewhere in East Texas Jake Parker

I really like that, "forgiveness is easier to obtain than permission!"
As for the wife thing..........................most of us old codgers have got a little experience in that arena....
Almost always, when in doubt, don't..............just kidding or not

Back