Rebuilt my SB10 HEAVY, quite the beast she is, pretty to...

It COULD be a pressed fit, but if it is, I can't explain why it turns freely to the left but not to the right past the 12:00 position. I realize I'm skating close to being guilty of hijacking this thread, so I think I'll post the question in a new thread.

Thank you!

My apologies; I misunderstood you. Just to confirm, I went into the garage and removed mine by hand--it is pressed in. There are no threads on the oiler. I would suggest gently pulling while twisting. From your photos, it would have been impossible to screw that oiler in. I used a shop towel and a pair of pliers to twist and pull mine out. There is a chance you could damage it if you are not careful, so don't squeeze the pliers too much, focus on the pull and twist.
:thumbsup:

Bill C: Please re post your reply without "quoting" the original post and thus duplicating all those pictures. It caused a lot of wasted space.

Thank you.

Excellent work on the restore, I see you used the same repop tags that a lot of us have used, they look great. I agree with you keep em original to a point but make updates where you can to improve upon an already great design. I restored mine and I did not go to quite the extreme that you did but it was fun and rewarding, I'm sure it was for you too. I am using mine and I love it. Only thing different between you and me is I would do it again! I know crazy, but it was a fun project. If I ever get a bigger shop, maybe a 13" or 16". As you said it is a labor of love, some people called mine art as well, fooey, I use mine and get her dirty. I love seeing oil running out of the shafts and dripping on the machine, that's how I know everything is working as it should. Hat's of to you and the work you have done, she's a beaut!

Beautiful restoration! I'm simply not built to do that kind of work, but I admire it completely. I'm more of a "getter running" kinda guy. Excellent work.

Marcel

It COULD be a pressed fit, but if it is, I can't explain why it turns freely to the left but not to the right past the 12:00 position. I realize I'm skating close to being guilty of hijacking this thread, so I think I'll post the question in a new thread.

Thank you!
On my 12" RT I have a press in GIT that will bind like yours when turned.
They also used some type of sealer when install to keep it from leaking when it was installed.
I had to force it out to find it was a press-in type and find the sealer.

Thanks for you comments, I do appreciate it.

I think I'm still too close to the extensive work that I did to consider doing it again. Like my wife says about giving birth, I'll never do it again. Then we have another two years later. Maybe the smashed knuckles and sticker price will fade, but I am skeptical at this point. I do love looking at it, and look forward to doing some work. I am using collets instead of the chuck, far more precise and clean to use.

Excellent work on the restore, I see you used the same repop tags that a lot of us have used, they look great. I agree with you keep em original to a point but make updates where you can to improve upon an already great design. I restored mine and I did not go to quite the extreme that you did but it was fun and rewarding, I'm sure it was for you too. I am using mine and I love it. Only thing different between you and me is I would do it again! I know crazy, but it was a fun project. If I ever get a bigger shop, maybe a 13" or 16". As you said it is a labor of love, some people called mine art as well, fooey, I use mine and get her dirty. I love seeing oil running out of the shafts and dripping on the machine, that's how I know everything is working as it should. Hat's of to you and the work you have done, she's a beaut!

My apologies; I misunderstood you. Just to confirm, I went into the garage and removed mine by hand--it is pressed in. There are no threads on the oiler. I would suggest gently pulling while twisting. From your photos, it would have been impossible to screw that oiler in. I used a shop towel and a pair of pliers to twist and pull mine out. There is a chance you could damage it if you are not careful, so don't squeeze the pliers too much, focus on the pull and twist.
:thumbsup:

Ok, that would explain how they got it in there. But I still don't understand why it only turns to just past 12:00 and then stops. It feels like it's threaded and coming tight at 12:00 position. I'll give the shop towels and rag/pliers a try. it's been soaking in oily kerosene overnight so ought to come out.

Thank you!

Ok, that would explain how they got it in there. But I still don't understand why it only turns to just past 12:00 and then stops. It feels like it's threaded and coming tight at 12:00 position. I'll give the shop towels and rag/pliers a try. it's been soaking in oily kerosene overnight so ought to come out.

Thank you!
Mine on my heavy 10 was threaded in. It was already mangled so I just destroyed it getting it out and replaced it. Just screw it out and get a new one and move on. They are available from McMaster Carr and south bend. A couple of bucks made it not worth sweating over. I used teflon tape on the new one when I installed it.

Thanks for you comments, I do appreciate it.

I think I'm still too close to the extensive work that I did to consider doing it again. Like my wife says about giving birth, I'll never do it again. Then we have another two years later. Maybe the smashed knuckles and sticker price will fade, but I am skeptical at this point. I do love looking at it, and look forward to doing some work. I am using collets instead of the chuck, far more precise and clean to use.

I'll tell you that I poured my heart and soul into a car restoration that I did 20 yrs ago. The car was perfect in my eyes. It took me 5 yrs to do it, I drove it for about 8 yrs, but it was parked in the garage most of the time. In all honesty, If I drove it 200 hrs total after the resto, that's a lot. Then, mice got into the headliner and it got nicked up just sitting in the garage.

So the last 3 months of it's unforeseen demise I drove it almost daily. I was going thru a divorce at the time, had a little too much to drink one day and smashed her into a guardrail. The car, not the wife... That was probably GODs way of showing me that man-made treasures will all come to naught, what really matters are the relationships and love we spread.

Now, I prefer that the items that I own serve me, rather than the other way around.

Marcel

Back