Rebuilt my SB10 HEAVY, quite the beast she is, pretty to...

I'll tell you that I poured my heart and soul into a car restoration that I did 20 yrs ago. The car was perfect in my eyes. It took me 5 yrs to do it, I drove it for about 8 yrs, but it was parked in the garage most of the time. In all honesty, If I drove it 200 hrs total after the resto, that's a lot. Then, mice got into the headliner and it got nicked up just sitting in the garage.

So the last 3 months of it's unforeseen demise I drove it almost daily. I was going thru a divorce at the time, had a little too much to drink one day and smashed her into a guardrail. The car, not the wife... That was probably GODs way of showing me that man-made treasures will all come to naught, what really matters are the relationships and love we spread.

Now, I prefer that the items that I own serve me, rather than the other way around.

Marcel
Great story, I believe that anything you work on or restore should be used as it was intended to be. My lathe is nice after the restore, but it's even more fun to use.

Yes, I agree; use it or sell it for someone else to use. This is a hobby for me, and I also split my time between my CNC. So it has not received much use at all, but following the door repaint and a few other minor things, I plan to stumble into the garage weekly to turn out some small projects.

To me, half the joy is bringing the machine into its current condition. The other half; split between using it, and seeing it in my garage. I sold my Ferrari recently, and half the joy of owning that car was beholding its beauty and lines--gosh it was gorgeous. I see these machines as functional works of art, and they are absolutely beautiful to me. I have an endless love for beautiful mechanical machines. This machine will look beautiful for years to come, no matter how it is used now. So it has a second lease on life, and I hope it runs for another 50 years.

wow, that's a work of art and workmanship. I don't even want to know how much time, let alone money, that took. Loved all the pictures too, but where's the final full body glamour shot?!

Outstanding Job Sir! Love it!

Dwayne

Thank you, Dwayne. I do appreciate the kind words.

wow, that's a work of art and workmanship. I don't even want to know how much time, let alone money, that took. Loved all the pictures too, but where's the final full body glamour shot?!

Matt, it was expensive, but the time and effort was just pathetic. I re-did many tasks because I am such a perfectionist/anal, that it gets in the way of efficiency. But it was not meant to be a money making task, but out of love and therapy.

I will have pics in a few days. I'm just buried with my real job at the moment.

Cheers~

Matt, it was expensive, but the time and effort was just pathetic. I re-did many tasks because I am such a perfectionist/anal, that it gets in the way of efficiency. But it was not meant to be a money making task, but out of love and therapy.

I will have pics in a few days. I'm just buried with my real job at the moment.

Cheers~

compared to other forms of love or therapy, it probably turned out quite cheap!

What kind of paint did you use? I'm unsure of what kind of paint will successfully resist the long-term effects of cutting oil, way oil, solvents, etc.

I used Tractor Paint, Ford Gray. I purchased it at Tractor Supply, and had to go back several times for more cans. It is very heavy paint, and I added hardener to give it more strength and a glossier finish. Needless to say, I cannot comment on its durability, but from what I have read from other owners that have used this paint, it is very strong. I can tell you it needs several days if not weeks to achieve a ceramic like hardness. I would not suggest using additional hardner to accelerate the drying time, as it may crack. Be patient and it'll harden nicely.

What kind of paint did you use? I'm unsure of what kind of paint will successfully resist the long-term effects of cutting oil, way oil, solvents, etc.

Nice work! I doubt mine will ever look like that. And, I'm okay with that.

:thinking: Question. I've seen the word "heavy" added to lathe models. What does it take to get heavy added? :thinking:

I see it's a chuck key chucker!
KGrHqZHJEsET-QQSm-BQYERk3Hhg60_57_zps8c5e9e2f.jpg

KGrHqZHJEsET-QQSm-BQYERk3Hhg60_57_zps8c5e9e2f.jpg

Last edited:
This machine is PRETTY. I have to remember that bindo trick with my friend's Myford Lathe tailstock.

Bernie

Back