Removing Shipping Oil

personally i like to use-
mineral spirits, kerosene, lacquer thinner, MEK, diesel fuel, WD40,PB Blaster, light mineral oil and 1,1,1 Trichloroethane (good luck in finding the latter)
lint free rags will save time too!
good luck!
you left out gasoline.

Tore the tailstock apart, cleaned, oiled, reassembled and stowed in a clean plastic bag:
image.jpg

Cleaned and adjusted the cross slide. Aw crap, backwards!
image.jpg

Try again tonight...

Last edited:
A quick word of caution about disassembling your combo tool. The lathe looks very much like Grizzly's G4000 bench lathe. The headstocks of these lathes should NOT be loosened or removed from the bed!!! They're factory aligned and pretty difficult to re-mount without a HUGE amount of fiddling.

Regarding the "shipping oil" ... it's long been my impression that the factory has a huge cauldron (ala Harry Potter), in which they dissolve an old tire or two in a bunch of used motor oil. I've run into some pretty nasty, smelly and viscous

My mother worked at the hospital's burn ward many years ago and the screams from people with gasoline burned bodies would sometimes echo down the halls into the night. Many would be allowed morphine until they passed away. Some with missing noses, ears, faces.
If you use gasoline for anything other than filling the tank in your car or truck, you are next in line for a tortuous future of unbelievable pain- if you survive! I hope I have scared you- that is my intention.

On the brighter side- Mineral spirits works well. :grin:

Sorry about the delay in posting this morning. The Internet at the office was down. So I had to do the kind of work they pay me to do. Booorrrriiiinnnngggg!

Finished stripping the shipping grease. Did not remove the carriage. All belts and the milling head installed. The milling head is nodded forward by just a bit. I'll see if adjusting the leg under the mount will give me the piece of a degree needed to make it perfectly vertical. If that doesn't do it, I'll have to shim between the mount and the mounting boss on the bed.

Took both motors for test spins and engaged the carriage half-nut. All worked well.

Only 1 headache: The plastic safety shield for the lathe chuck doesn't fit. We'll just have to live without it.

First true modification: I removed the spring on the chuck handle. I guess it was there so you couldn't leave it in and start the lathe. I found it to be a pain-in-the-posterior! Trying to keep it engaged while turning. Sorry, nope. Gone, goodbye. In all the years I've been using electric hand drills and a drill press, I've never left the key in the chuck. Twist to lock or unlock the item in the chuck and then the key comes away with my hand. To me, a chuck with an unattended key in it feels wrong.

First true modification: I removed the spring on the chuck handle.

Those things are a nightmare. It's so much easier to just learn good safety habits and never leave the key in the chuck (even for a few seconds). Ever.

GG

Yup. Good Safety Habits! I'm 54 and still have all my fingers, toes and eyes.

One of the 'downsides' of good safety habits: The conscious effort needed to set the seatbelt aside when moving a car between parking spots.

Safety is always good, and it's best when it gets to be a habit. Couple years ago, I was walking across the factory floor with a cordless drill in my hand. I glanced down, and noticed that my index finger was off the trigger and alongside the drill. That's when I knew I had that bit of firearms safety down!

Back