Rockwell Surface Grinder

Lol I wasn't saying yours is spray painted I was just poking fun at the notion of refurbished when all someone did was decrease and spray it, in the field we call that a rattle can rebuild, and there is a particular company that does well work for us and all there equipment is second hand, given the krylon touch and put to work, they leak don't start and fall apart....

Cool, is that paint I see on the machined surface on the table? If you get a mag chuck you need to clean that, and also be sure and stone that surface before putting a chuck or vise down onto it, all the burrs MUST be completely knocked down to ensure accuracy and most importantly repeatability. How about a picture of the ways/slides

Mike, I like it in black.
That looks real nice!
-brino

I'll be waiting to see some ground parts.
I bought my harig not cause I needed it but basically it was for sale and I got first dibs lol. Mine was the guys backup that never got used

You can grind aluminum parts too, nice finish, I didn't use a special wheel, just my standard white wheel, I guess if I were going to do a larger job I'd get the right wheel

Chevydyl,
I don't think it's paint, but I'll have to look next time I'm out there.

brino,
It looks better now that I got the bright yellow dust hood off of it!

Looks good. Did you get the original legs or are you building a table? Now would be the time to fab a pan to put underneath of it if you want coolant at a later date.

I don't know how much you know about surface grinding but mine doesn't like much more than .003 down feed per pass, anymore than that and it can start to induce chatter, and I wouldn't do any full wheel width cuts, I only stepover about about a half turn of the handwheel for roughing and then I do like 1/6th turn for finishing.
I found it amazing that these grinders don't wanna take off very much meat yet you go to the bench grinder and can really lay into it without it even slowing down.

Original legs. Stamped steel, and HEAVY. I'm trying to date it, but it's tough with no badges or serial number on the machine. It doesn't have the embossed letters on the guard, so I'm figuring late 60s, early 70s, the Rockwell era. There are badges on the legs, Rockwell. Other pictures I've seen show those legs with a DELTA badge, so I'm guessing mine postdates them.

Original legs. Stamped steel, and HEAVY. I'm trying to date it, but it's tough with no badges or serial number on the machine. It doesn't have the embossed letters on the guard, so I'm figuring late 60s, early 70s, the Rockwell era. There are badges on the legs, Rockwell. Other pictures I've seen show those legs with a DELTA badge, so I'm guessing mine postdates them.
Go over to the Yahoo delta grinder forum; lots of info there. Looks like the 1957 or earlier model, not the one from the sixties, but there's really not much difference. You definitely want a mag chuck, a Univise, and if you can find it, the secondary swivel table and centers (good luck with that- they are very hard to find). If you can find a Univise and the table/centers, and learn to use it, you have exactly what it's named: a Toolmaker. Literally nothing you can't make or sharpen with it. Decent small surface grinder, too. Lots of manuals online, and they are very complete with full instructions for use (try vintagemachinery). If you can't find manuals elsewhere, I have a full set of pdfs, just ask.

Back