Rockwell Surface Grinder

The one dad had, had cast legs that were bolted to the base of the SG. I don't recall a badge per say, but I recall the cast belt guard had a name cast into it. But I don't remember if it said "DELTA" or "ROCKWELL". Been to many years ago. It had two step vee belt sheaves, not flat belt drive.

Off topic but why is it whenever somebody posts photos to a photo album here on the site I get permission denied errors when I click on the link?

There's no lettering on my belt guard. Mine also has the two speed v-belt pulley setup.

Does the grinder need to be sitting on the floor? I'm kind of limited on space (who isn't?) and putting it on casters would make it more convenient. But I have a feeling that this is less than desireable.

Comments?

It's supposed to be leveled. I would use those rubber mounted leveling feet. When the place I worked at shut down, I won my Toolmaker at the auction. I know in it last two moves it wasn't leveled . I don't have mine leveled yet. I was told about my machine,anything more than .0005, it would chatter.

Yeah it needs to be leveled, harig tells you to put the saddle to the column and the table to the right, level on the chuck

Off topic but why is it whenever somebody posts photos to a photo album here on the site I get permission denied errors when I click on the link?
Hi Navy,

I have the same problem.
Can anyone help us out to where we can see the pictures?

Thanks

Hi Mike/wawoodman.

I wonder how you are getting along with your grinder.

I know this is an old post but I find myself wanting a surface grinder too and a newer version of this grinder has come up with several accessories and a mag chuck for $500. I feel like this might be an ok rig for me as I mostly want to surface grind smaller projects.

Go over to the Yahoo delta grinder forum; lots of info there. Looks like the 1957 or earlier model, not the one from the sixties, but there's really not much difference. You definitely want a mag chuck, a Univise, and if you can find it, the secondary swivel table and centers (good luck with that- they are very hard to find). If you can find a Univise and the table/centers, and learn to use it, you have exactly what it's named: a Toolmaker. Literally nothing you can't make or sharpen with it. Decent small surface grinder, too. Lots of manuals online, and they are very complete with full instructions for use (try vintagemachinery). If you can't find manuals elsewhere, I have a full set of pdfs, just ask.
Do u still have those pdfs. I just got a Toolmaker in need of some tlc.

Back