rotary table and chuck help

Mark_f

Registered
Registered
I need some ideas here. I want to mount a 6 inch chuck on a 6 inch rotary table and can't seem to figure out how to do it. Can anyone give me some ideas?

Mark Frazier

Mark, I mounted a cheap 8 inch rear mount 3 jaw on my 8 inch rotary by simply drilling through the outer edge (carefully avoiding the scroll). With careful spacing you can sneak a four bolt pattern between the 3 jaws. Direct mounting saves the height of an adaptor plate. Can snap a photo if your interested.
Greg

Mark, I mounted a cheap 8 inch rear mount 3 jaw on my 8 inch rotary by simply drilling through the outer edge (carefully avoiding the scroll). With careful spacing you can sneak a four bolt pattern between the 3 jaws. Direct mounting saves the height of an adaptor plate. Can snap a photo if your interested.
Greg

Yes, I am interested as i want to stay as low as possible. I not sure the chuck has clearance enough though.

Thanks ,

Mark

If you use a front mount chuck that has the same amount of monting holes as your rotary table has slots, then that's an easy way of course. But if not, melsdad made a style of adapter that would work in your case.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/20573-Rotary-table-Chuck-mounting-plate?p=178115&viewfull=1#post178115

begy2u3y.jpg

WOW! That is so simple, I been racking my brain and never thought of that. (maybe I can blame the stroke for inducing a bout of stupidity)

Thank you so much for the idea,

Mark

begy2u3y.jpg

begy2u3y.jpg

Similar to the one already posted. I did pilot the indexer and chuck for centering.

Chuck & Indexer.JPG Chuck 2.JPG Indexer Adapter 1.JPG Indexer Adapter 3.JPG

Mark, here's a couple of shots of the chuck, its just sitting on the table for the photo op. 3/8 bolts fit the rim of this chuck but even 1/4 inch would hold it. I have a rod somewhere with a morse taper to fit the rotary table hole, it extends up through the chuck, close the chuck on it before bolting it down gets it fairly well centred. If I remember right I centred the chuck on the mill table and used the dro to lay out the holes, but that rod would have worked with the table rotated too.

IMG_1570.jpg

IMG_1571.jpg

Had planned to get socket head cap screws to fasten it down but the hex head work so never got round to it.
Just another idea.

Greg

IMG_1570.jpg IMG_1571.jpg

It is amazing that the simplest approach is often the best. Not having the additional space of a adapter plate is a huge advantage on most vertical mills. The previous posts of the other adapters is a nice way to adapt as well as that gives one the option to be able to bolt the chuck directly to the mill table if you don't need the rotary function and need more daylight. Great ideas everyone.

Darrell

I made a little plate for the chuck also, but the collet chuck that drops into the center taper is a lower profile. It also is self centering. I know which I will use whenever I can, the mt2 taper er40 collet chuck!:))

I have a Grizzly 4" table, and used a Craftsman 109 4" 4 jaw chuck. It has through holes in the chuck which made things simple. Will be saving this thread in case I get a larger table and chuck, thanks for the pictures everybody :))

Back