rotary table and chuck help

Enco has a adapter for their Chuck and table. Manufacturer Part Number: 221-356

Yes, those are the common ones, mounts a chuck one size smaller than the rotary table. In Mark's case he wanted to use a 6" chuck with a 6" RT.

The ones commonly sold would look something like this below. I made my own adapter, it's a 8" RT so a 6-1/4" chuck is big enough for me.

Img_9989.jpg

Img_9989.jpg

Img_9989.jpg

Yes, those are the common ones, mounts a chuck one size smaller than the rotary table. In Mark's case he wanted to use a 6" chuck with a 6" RT.

The ones commonly sold would look something like this below. I made my own adapter, it's a 8" RT so a 6-1/4" chuck is big enough for me.

Img_9989.jpg

Nice setup! I was just using theirs as a idea for creating his own. I was going to copy their idea for mine as well :))

Img_9989.jpg

Img_9989.jpg

All great ideas . thank you everyone. I can get by with a 1 inch thick spacer and mount it the way you guys did. That way I don't take up all my height with the adapter. I almost passed out when i saw the price for a 6 inch diameter aluminum round 2 inches long, but it will be worth it.

Thank you all again for your help,

Mark Frazier

Hi everyone: I've got an 8 inch RT that appears to be a knock-off of the one Dark Zero posted. It has 4 slots. My Cutmaster 13x40 lathe has a 6 inch 3 jaw, and an 8 inch 4 jaw cam lock chuck. I'd like to be able to use them on the RT. I am confused as to what the designations for the adapters indicate. I've been out to the CDCO Machinery Corp site someone recommended below, but the designations confuse me. I was under the impression that the number after the D-1 designation (1,2,3,4....) indicated the chuck size. Evidently not. Here is the chart they provide. Which of these would work (if any)? Thanks, guys.

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Hi everyone: I've got an 8 inch RT that appears to be a knock-off of the one Dark Zero posted. It has 4 slots. My Cutmaster 13x40 lathe has a 6 inch 3 jaw, and an 8 inch 4 jaw cam lock chuck. I'd like to be able to use them on the RT. I am confused as to what the designations for the adapters indicate. I've been out to the CDCO Machinery Corp site someone recommended below, but the designations confuse me. I was under the impression that the number after the D-1 designation (1,2,3,4....) indicated the chuck size. Evidently not. Here is the chart they provide. Which of these would work (if any)? Thanks, guys.

D1s are cam lock lathe spindles, they won't mount to your rotary table. What you need is an adapter specific for mounting to rotary tables or make your own.

Here are a couple that will mount to a 8" RT with 4 slots, chuck & adapter included.

8" 4-jaw

6" 3-jaw

D1s are cam lock lathe spindles, they won't mount to your rotary table. What you need is an adapter specific for mounting to rotary tables or make your own.

Here are a couple that will mount to a 8" RT with 4 slots, chuck & adapter included.

8" 4-jaw

6" 3-jaw

Thanks Darkzero. I was just out to that site before I read your post. What I don't understand is why the adapter plates on CDCO that I mentioned couldn't me made to bolt onto the RT. Here is the adapter that I included the chart for. Couldn't I just bore/counterbore four holes in one of these adapters?
Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Thanks Darkzero. I was just out to that site before I read your post. What I don't understand is why the adapter plates on CDCO that I mentioned couldn't me made to bolt onto the RT. Here is the adapter that I included the chart for. Couldn't I just bore/counterbore four holes in one of these adapters?

Yes, you certainly could just adapt one of those to fit your RT table. I personally prefer not to have unnecessary holes but if it it ends up cheaper going that route then nothing wrong there.

I started out with a blank backplate. Other thoughts is if you have a local metal supplier or if score a suitable piece for cheap. It doesn't need to be cast iron.

Img_9801.jpg

Img_9801.jpg

Yeah, I'm with you on the additional hole thing, but if it allows me to utilize the chucks I already have it would save a bunch (for me, anyway). Plus, I'm not sure how much offset I would need on the cam set screw hole and the cost of the cams for the adapter. Any suggestions on which one on the chart to use if I go that way? Thanks, Will

Hi Will: This is embarrassing. No wonder you were confused. It had been a while since I had the chuck off, and was visualizing it bass-ackwards. For some reason I mistakenly thought the chuck was female and slid onto the pins on the spindle. Duh. Your suggestion of the chuck/adaptor sets make perfect sense now. I guess I was so intent on using my existing chucks (cheapskate) I just saw it the way I wanted it to be. Thanks again. I'll post again when I get this all sorted out.

Back