Running a threaded spindle lathe in reverse to cut heavy threads in a blind hole.

I now have a plan. I was watching some YouTube videos by a fellow who calls himself doubleboost. In this video at 2:52, he briefly shows an adapter plate he made to mount his lathe accessories on a rotary table.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SV7lDiSXto&t=2m52s

The video is about him making an er32 chuck for his boxford lathe and he uses the adapter as a thread gauge to be sure his chuck thread is correct. Since I have a rotary table too, I will first make the same adapter plate for my own rotary table. That will give me both a useful tool, a thread gauge I have to have anyway, and some experience cutting the outside version of the same thread I need to cut on the inside.

If I can't cut that outside thread, THEN it's time to start worrying about doing the inside one, not now :)

Yes. John (Doubleboost) has done quite a few videos on a lot of projects and topics. He's always finding ways to improve his video setup. A good source.

I just finished cutting a 2-1/4"-4.5 TPI internal thread in a adapter to mount my lathe spindle tooling on a Brown and Sharpe dividing head. I have a 16" South Bend lathe with a threaded spindle and I've never worried about spinning the chuck off while internal threading using the spindle in reverse method.

DSCF2125.JPGDSCF2126.JPG

DSCF2125.JPG DSCF2126.JPG

Its too hard to predict the failure case but often, the leadscrew has a roll pin that is designed to snap. ...
Ray

Thank you so much for this comment! I bought an abused lathe and am fixing problems on it. I just realized that my lead screw roll pin was replaced with a small machine screw jammed in it's place, taking away one of my safety measures. I'd rather snap a pin than bust something much bigger!

Roy Tate

Back