San Antonio Texas?

Uglydog

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Looks like I'll be in San Antonio Tx late next week.
Does anyone know of any used used machine tool shops or machinist related places of interest that I might attempt to squeeze into the schedule? Note: I have little/no control of the schedule. As it's my brides business trip and I got invited. I'm excited for the Alamo, etc. But...

Thank you.
Daryl
MN

I have not found much around here, But they may be others that know of something. There are a bunch of people that do the purchase everything that they can find, They advertise on Craigslist tht if you want to sell tools etc contact them. But have not been able to find out where they are selling things. as of yet

The are selling what they find in Texas in Monterrey. Stuff doesn't last here in the Houston area either, but you see a lot of it heading south on trucks. I hear they get top Peso in Mexico. I guess that is better than it going for scrap to China.

Randy

you'll remember the Alamo after going there!
i had a good time, the history is fascinating!
i don't know the tool spots, but
Get ready to eat some good BBQ while you are there in Texas, arguably the best in the US !
i stuffed my face with some good stuff over the years in many different places.
One restaurant stands out, The Salt Lick.
It's not in San Antonio, but worth the trip from San Antonio

heres the link to the Driftwood establishment, that i can personally vouch for :D
http://www.saltlickbbq.com/pages/Driftwood.html

life changing BBQ, i'm not joking.
the funniest thing is that they are in a dry county, so you must bring your own cooler of Lone Star with you.
one other thing, bring expanding waistband clothing,
you'll thank me later :congratulate:

What is bad, is I have been in SA off and on for 30 plus years, 16 this time, but still have not gone there, even though I go up to BUDA a couple of times a year normally.

A buddy of mine knows where most of the "honey holes" are in San Antonio. Basically a couple of junk yards on the south side.
You just don't find or if you do find stuff, it is very little. About the best thing to do is hit some of the pawn shops in S.A. Like Randy said, most is bought up and loaded and shipped to Monterrey. A shame that Alamo Iron Works foundry is gone, I could hook you up with the old manager and get a shop tour of the place.
You could always drive down to Victoria and hang out at my place....

Coming in at the end of Fiesta for S.A.

Copy, pawn shops....

Victoria is only two hours out. The boss is warning me not to count on the opportunity!
Regardless, it's unclear how much actual meeting/conference time she actually be in.
Who knows, I may PM you and ask for your address.

Daryl
MN

Try to not miss the river walk. Aw some !

you'll remember the Alamo after going there!
i had a good time, the history is fascinating!
i don't know the tool spots, but
Get ready to eat some good BBQ while you are there in Texas, arguably the best in the US !
i stuffed my face with some good stuff over the years in many different places.
One restaurant stands out, The Salt Lick.
It's not in San Antonio, but worth the trip from San Antonio

heres the link to the Driftwood establishment, that i can personally vouch for :D
http://www.saltlickbbq.com/pages/Driftwood.html

life changing BBQ, i'm not joking.
the funniest thing is that they are in a dry county, so you must bring your own cooler of Lone Star with you.
one other thing, bring expanding waistband clothing,
you'll thank me later :congratulate:

Yes, it's clearly on the agenda.
I observed that the Mississippi is 5minutes from here and I wouldn't lose two days of shop time if we went to the Mississippi to walk around.
That didn't sell well....

I am looking forward to the BBQ!!
And of course spending some time with my bride of 3o years.

Daryl
MN

4gsr
which ones on the south side, I will also check them out. I get odd and ends of steel from one of them, Ashley and River city, But both have cleaned out pretty much the last time I was there.

Uglydog
Fiesta can be fun, but watch out, it gets to be a mess downtown, depending on where you are staying it may be better to take the Park and ride down there.

I hated it when they pulled that BS and took their land to build a dome that they cannot keep thing going in. A waste of a good place to put something like that.

Back