SB9a Lathe plus numerous Machinist tools

ShagDog

Registered
Registered
Another SB9a lathe followed me home. This is my 3rd SB lathe. This one is a 1941, same as my other 9a. The other is a 9 Junior. Also came with a tool box full of machinist tools. The lathe came with a SB 4 jaw chuck, 3 jaw chuck, taper attachment, South Bend 3c collet set with closer and Mt3 to 3c adapter. Also, a steady rest, drill chuck, and other stuff. I already took the gear box off to re-felt and clean it up, and to get a broken tumbler lever repaired. Here is a photo of it after gear box removal.
Later, I will also be attaching photos of all the stuff in the tool box that came with it.

Attachments

• SB Lathe.jpg
    SB Lathe.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 24
I forgot to mention that it is a 4 1/2 foot bed, just like my other 9a.
It also came with a craftsman 5 drawer rollaway and 5 drawer top. For some reason, my phone picture of that wont send. But, all the tools were in it. Here are some more photos of the tools. It will take me a few posts before I can post all of them. I will need help in identifying some of the tools.
Here we go. The 1st picture is a small boring head with an Mt 2 mount. The 2nd is a height scriber and the 3rd is some Starrett telescoping bore gages and a caliper with what appears to be a modified nut.

Attachments

• Boring head.jpg
    Boring head.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Height Marking.jpg
    Height Marking.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 13
  • Starrett.jpg
    Starrett.jpg
    285.5 KB · Views: 13
Next photos are of a drill sharpener as I confirmed in an other post on this forum.

Attachments

• Drill Sharpener (2).jpg
    Drill Sharpener (2).jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Drill Sharpener.jpg
    Drill Sharpener.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Tool Post (3).jpg
    Tool Post (3).jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 5
Here are some photos of a Tool post as I was able to confirm in another post in this forum. Way too big for my lathes. Craigslist time.

Attachments

• Tool Post (2).jpg
    Tool Post (2).jpg
    466.9 KB · Views: 8
  • tool post.jpg
    tool post.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 7
More photos. Lathe dogs, drive plate, and what looks like an Mt2 center for round stock. A china live center.

Attachments

• Lathe Dogs.jpg
    Lathe Dogs.jpg
    256.7 KB · Views: 7
More. This is a cast iron table with dovetailed ways on bottom and slot on top. Large and heavy. Not sure what it is for. It is about 12" x 4" and has screw holes for gibs on 1 side of 1 of the dovetails. Not sure what I will do with this.

Attachments

• Bottom Gibbed table.jpg
    Bottom Gibbed table.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 8
  • Gibbed table.jpg
    Gibbed table.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 8
More. Jacobs 100 MT2 armature chuck for Craigslist and numerous lathe tool bits and lantern tool holders and boring bars. Also looks slitting saws, slotting saws and what I think may be t-slot cutters on the far left of the 1st photo. Other miscellaneous.

Attachments

• Tool Bits Armature Chuck.jpg
    Tool Bits Armature Chuck.jpg
    255.6 KB · Views: 12
  • Tool Bits.jpg
    Tool Bits.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 12
Very cool! You got the mother load.

Congrats!

Cutting oil is my blood.

More. Files clamp, pliers in 1st photo. Looks like some threading taps, roll of emery cloth, some kind of wrench, a long tap of sorts (help id please) in the 2nd photo. 3rd photo has leather strap that is long enough to make a new flat belt for the lathe, if I knew how to splice it. I think there are some You tube videos out there on doing so Alos, there is some kind of round plate that has a straight shaft (help id this please). 4th photo has boring bar screw on tips very large, too much for my lathes (Craigslist).

On the far left of the 2nd photo are a couple black steel items with a point on them. Sorry for the poor photo. If you can see them well enough, what are they.

Attachments

• Misc. (2).jpg
    Misc. (2).jpg
    173.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Misc. (3).jpg
    Misc. (3).jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 16
  • Misc. (6).jpg
    Misc. (6).jpg
    259 KB · Views: 15
  • Misc..jpg
    Misc..jpg
    309.4 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
More. Various MT holders of sorts. Help identify please.

Attachments

• MT tool Holders.jpg
    MT tool Holders.jpg
    295.3 KB · Views: 7
Back