School me on CAD, CAM, etc..

3strucking

Registered
Registered
I do all of my design on paper. I would like to be able to draw up a part on the computer then print out a set of prints or send it to a printer. I dont have a printer yet but would purchase one if I was able to use the software. This will be hobby use only so price is a concern but more importantly is that it needs to be easy for me to learn. I dont have any experience with any program such as solidworks, fusion 360, etc. Can someone recommend a program capable of the above.

I do all of my design on paper. I would like to be able to draw up a part on the computer then print out a set of prints or send it to a printer. I dont have a printer yet but would purchase one if I was able to use the software. This will be hobby use only so price is a concern but more importantly is easy to learn. I dont have any experience with any program such as solidworks, fusion 360, etc. Can someone recommend a program capable of the above.
Draftsight. It is a 2D drafting program that is pretty easy to learn. I think it is $250 and then a renewal fee annually. There are other free programs out there but Draftsight is probably the most fully featured 2D drafting program out there as it is based on AutoCAD from way back.

There are a lot of opinions out there and they are all good ones based on solid experience.

For myself. Mind you I am a computer illiterate for the most part. However at work I have been using MasterCam for 20 plus years. Design and programming. First 20 years all paper and drafting board. At home I am all paper. One big reason is at home I only have my iPhone (work supplied) and a 10 year old handle down IPad. You can do wonderful things with just paper.
However the speed of CAD programs making things is magical. So basically I gave you ZERO help. I would recommend CAD to everyone. What program is only limited to what you want to spend. $0- 10’s of thousands.

Cutting oil is my blood.

Are all CAD programs able to send a print directly to a 3d printer or cnc? Or, do I have to have another program write the code?

I'm going to say that all CAD programs either do or should print the paper drawings and sketches you make. I say "all" and "should" because you should check the software features before you buy. But that is a basic expectation of 2D drafting software.

Posting to CNC is not a common feature of 2D CAD programs, but there is a G-CODE generator add-on feature in Draftsight that I mentioned earlier. I have never used that feature and I will again hedge on the bet that you would have to tweak that code to suit a particular machine. And 2D drafting programs will not create 3D models that are needed for 3D printers or any 3, 4 or 5 axis machines so the short answer to that question is "no."

Are all CAD programs able to send a print directly to a 3d printer or cnc? Or, do I have to have another program write the code?

Very few, and even they did you likely wouldn't want them to.

You use another piece of software called a slicer that breaks a 3D model into layers and generates tooling paths for each layer. Cura, PrusaSlicer and many others are free and popular.

I'd not bother messing about with 2D CAD, it takes longer than doing full 3D and then getting 2D drawings auto generated, and of course you're limited by only having 2D drawings... If you're aiming to 3D print, they're totally useless.

I use OnShape for everything. It's free, providing you don't mind your work being public. Fusion 360 is also popular. You'll get a load of hubbub about "I like owning my software, been using the same copy of bla bla for 40 years. Ain't payin no subscription, don't like cloud...". I'd politely advise: don't listen and get on with using the good stuff.

I model in 3D to print, as well as to produce 2D "prints" to machine from. Also to prototype assemblies to check for clearance issues and suchlike. Wouldn't be without it.

If you want to create 3d models which can be 3d printed, then you need to use a 3d CAD program. I use FreeCAD, which by the name, you can tell is free. It's quite capable. I have used it to create various designs including a fixture plate for my rotary table, a set true back plate for my lathe, and all the parts I needed to make an electronic lead screw system for my lathe. FreeCAD is available on Windows, Mac, and Linux. It can even run on a Raspberry Pi - I tried it.

As we speak, I am 3d printing an enclosure for my ELS system on my 3d printer. There are no fees, or yearly maintenance charges whatsoever to use FreeCAD. There is an active forum that answers questions of both new and seasoned users. I cannot speak to multi-axis machine control, as I have not dabbled there.

The level of effort to learn 3d CAD is considerable. However, once learned, it is quite empowering. I think it was worth the time learning. CAD is not a substitute for common sense, but it sure helps one see the spatial relationships amongst various elements.

Then I would need a program such as fusion 360 or solidworks to be able to design then print?

That's correct. I use Fusion360. It's more pricey but affordable and easy to learn. And you can export the models to your slicer software for 3D printing.

Back