Setup and Continuing Saga of the Charter Oak 12Z

Yup, thanks to GaryK, I've never had my T-slots so clean! Just wish I listened to him when he was asking me to go in on them with him, may he rest in peace.

Yeah that was me & that was the only way I could use the 6" RT on my 9" table too, on the front slot. On my 6" it was actually the handwheel dial that hit the table first in adition to not being able to swing out the handwheel to disengage the worm. My 6" also did not line up with the slots when mounted vertically. Even if the slots did line up, same issue, handwheel would hit the edge first.

I really didn't want to go through the hassle of getting another RT but it worked out absolutely perfect for me, well better than that. Matt hooked me up with the 8" RT for free, yup that's $0 shipped! I offered to send him the 6" & he told me to sell it. I ended up selling it locally for the same price I paid for it on ebay. Another reason why I am loyal to him, he's the best!

The 8" really does look right at home on my table but then again I don't think the 6" looks that puny on your larger table.

Img_0839.jpg

Looks good Will...

May need to talk to Matt on that rotary table... :)

Where does one get the T slot strips...

And is there a thread on Gary K? Being relatively new here, I see he was a MOD, and has passed on.

Img_0839.jpg

So played a little more with the belt drive this morning. David told me he made my pulleys slightly smaller for some reason so his ratio/Hz would ballpark but I wanted to take some samples. So here's what I got with the little rpm gauge this morning

FREQUENCY LOW RANGE HIGH RANGE

10 Hz 220 rpm 710 rpm
15 Hz 340 rpm 1075 rpm
20 Hz 445 rpm 1454 rpm
25 Hz 560 rpm 1819 rpm
30 Hz 685 rpm 2180 rpm
35 Hz 800 rpm 2535 rpm
40 Hz 910 rpm 2890 rpm
45 Hz 1030 rpm 3280 rpm
50 Hz 1140 rpm 3660 rpm
55 Hz 1260 rpm 3985 rpm
60 Hz 1365 rpm 4350 rpm
65 Hz 1485 rpm 4725 rpm
70 Hz 1600 rpm 5090 rpm

I kept the frequency at +/- .3 to try to get some semblance of accuracy, but again this is just a reference for me to get to an approximate starting rpm that I will then tune as required depending on how the cut is going. I did notice a very slight vibration/hum when I got around 65 Hz and above in high range and noticed some belt wobble/vibration (for lack of a better term) at around that same time. Didn't notice anything in low, so it's definitely high rpm related. In all honesty I probably won't get above 4k very often anyway.

Does anyone know where I can go to get a little plastic card made up with the above data so I can hang it right next to the VFD remote? I can't find a place to mount a MachTach on this machine, so rather than use that little contactless rpm gauge all the time I could just refer to my chart. :)

EDIT: sorry for the jumbled info above. Had it very nicely organized then this forum software screwed it up. :(

Looks good Will...

May need to talk to Matt on that rotary table... :)

Where does one get the T slot strips...

And is there a thread on Gary K? Being relatively new here, I see he was a MOD, and has passed on.

Thanks John! I believe Matt sells the 8" Vertex for $370 shipped but don't quote me on that.

The T-slot covers are from supramachinetool on ebay which is the US distributor of Acer machine tools. They sell them in different widths. My slots are 14mm so I got the covers from them but if you have 5/8" slots, enco also sells them.

This was the only thread posted about Gary. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/16584-In-Memorium-Gary-K He has some threads in the PM section on his PM1236 & PM45M.

Does anyone know where I can go to get a little plastic card made up with the above data so I can hang it right next to the VFD remote? I can't find a place to mount a MachTach on this machine, so rather than use that little contactless rpm gauge all the time I could just refer to my chart. :)

Just print it out and Kinkos, or Office Depot should be able to laminate it. Maybe they can offer another method also.

So played a little more with the belt drive this morning. David told me he made my pulleys slightly smaller for some reason so his ratio/Hz would ballpark but I wanted to take some samples. So here's what I got with the little rpm gauge this morning

FREQUENCY LOW RANGE HIGH RANGE

10 Hz 220 rpm 710 rpm
15 Hz 340 rpm 1075 rpm
20 Hz 445 rpm 1454 rpm
25 Hz 560 rpm 1819 rpm
30 Hz 685 rpm 2180 rpm
35 Hz 800 rpm 2535 rpm
40 Hz 910 rpm 2890 rpm
45 Hz 1030 rpm 3280 rpm
50 Hz 1140 rpm 3660 rpm
55 Hz 1260 rpm 3985 rpm
60 Hz 1365 rpm 4350 rpm
65 Hz 1485 rpm 4725 rpm
70 Hz 1600 rpm 5090 rpm

I kept the frequency at +/- .3 to try to get some semblance of accuracy, but again this is just a reference for me to get to an approximate starting rpm that I will then tune as required depending on how the cut is going. I did notice a very slight vibration/hum when I got around 65 Hz and above in high range and noticed some belt wobble/vibration (for lack of a better term) at around that same time. Didn't notice anything in low, so it's definitely high rpm related. In all honesty I probably won't get above 4k very often anyway.

EDIT: sorry for the jumbled info above. Had it very nicely organized then this forum software screwed it up. :(

Bill,

Just type it up in Word or Excel print it on photo paper and laminate it. If you don't have a laminator you should be able to have it done a a copy place like kinko's for pretty cheap. Glue some magnets on the back and stick it wherever it will fit. I have also seen magnets with adhesive on one side that you could apply your label directly to. Here is an adhesive sheet magnet that you could trim to any size you need: http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/370296330666?lpid=82&chn=ps

Thanks John! I believe Matt sells the 8" Vertex for $370 shipped but don't quote me on that.

The T-slot covers are from supramachinetool on ebay which is the US distributor of Acer machine tools. They sell them in different widths. My slots are 14mm so I got the covers from them but if you have 5/8" slots, enco also sells them.

This was the only thread posted about Gary. http://www.hobby-machinist.com/showthread.php/16584-In-Memorium-Gary-K He has some threads in the PM section on his PM1236 & PM45M.

THX Will...

Gary was before my time, from what I have read, a good guy.

Will look into the rotary table Matt has... however I kinda need a 10" (specific project). Yeah, gonna be $$$, or Chinese.
And HEAVY!

I believe I have the larger slots, so probably will have to wait for an Enco sale.

Appreciate the answers

John

The top and bottom bearings look to be the same in all the RF-45 clone mills.

top, (koyo) 7206BGC3 FY S0607
bottom, (koyo) 7207BGC3 FY S0605 35mm x 72mm

You may need to make a shim for the top preload nut to stay on the threads. The A/C bearings are a bit shorter.

The bottom big end race is driven out with the help of two small holes that are drilled in the quill.

The top bearing often fits too tight and makes setting preload a real pain from stick slip. If yours is really tight sand the spindle shaft with some 600 or higher grit.

Clean the seats really well and look for high spots.

I don't recommend 9000 RPM ever. 5 to 7k is about it depending on the spindle. Some vibrate more than others.

I had one that just vibrated like crazy. Replaced it and it was 95% better but at 9000 RPM it makes this not so cool high frequency vibration that says stand back.....

It vibrates a little at 4k and 8k so I dont run at that speed. The spindles are not really made for high speed. One had the metal between centers was out of round by at least .050" others newer one were all turned down. One had .003" runout on the spline shaft another .001"

Now if we could just find someone with a CNC lathe that could make a better spindle... :)

Just a FYI for those considering a 12z with the VFD option: I would consider moving it off the back of the column where CO normally installs it. Now mine hasn't had much in the way of chips and oil get to it yet, but it's just sitting out there in the open just waiting for a chip to rebound off a wall or something and land close enough to those cooling vents to possibly get sucked in.

So today I made a mounting plate and stuck it on the right rear leg of the machine stand. It is now under the chip tray and out of the way of errant flying debris. :)

I also replaced those in-line valves on my oiling system with 90 degree valves that thread directly into the manifold and moved the manifold to the back of the column to get this out of the way as well.

Just a FYI for those considering a 12z with the VFD option: I would consider moving it off the back of the column where CO normally installs it. Now mine hasn't had much in the way of chips and oil get to it yet, but it's just sitting out there in the open just waiting for a chip to rebound off a wall or something and land close enough to those cooling vents to possibly get sucked in.

So today I made a mounting plate and stuck it on the right rear leg of the machine stand. It is now under the chip tray and out of the way of errant flying debris. :)

I also replaced those in-line valves on my oiling system with 90 degree valves that thread directly into the manifold and moved the manifold to the back of the column to get this out of the way as well.

Seconded, I would go further and tell them not to mount it on the column in the first place thus avoiding them drilling/tapping holes in the column.

Back