Setup and Continuing Saga of the Charter Oak 12Z

I much prefer the feel of the metal wheels and handles. Will did a much more professional install than I did, but I will do mine proper one day. Probably. Maybe?

Agreed. As far as machining the drive, might as well. It's actually pretty simple. Just use a 5/16" end mill, align the endmill edge to centerline & mill straight across. Then rotate & do the next one. I forget how many degress to rotate but I can co firm if you need if/when you do it. Just go off the stock handwheel & you'll figure it out.

Paint the centers black and polish the outer wheel and handle. :D

Agreed x2. I too wanted to paint my centers black but was concerned about the paint wearing off over time from my hands.

Bill I see you are still using the barrel switch, everyone says that's a no-no with a VFD. I love the Cuttler Hammer pot I installed vs that thing that comes on the remote panel.

I used it all the time when I first got the machine, with no issues whatsoever (as evidenced by the renaming on the front of it when I installed the belt drive). According to 'everyone' it should have damaged something the first time I used it.

For the record, I no longer use it when power is applied. Call off the VFD police please. :)

Yeah but...its another opportunity to mod your machine. Look if you run out of things to mod next thing you know you will be buying yet another mill. ;)

PS: I tore my mill half apart and applied a tube of 'stop leaking damn you'. That cured all the leaks...until the drain plug started leaking DOH!

Well, honestly, I'm a bit tired of modding machines at the moment. I'm trying to use them to make things. Like making a custom base to put a holo sight on my .45 (the eyes are not what they used to be...)

DSCN4358.jpg

It will kinda look like this when done.

DSCN4360.jpg

I saw a company on Ebay selling 'servo controls' to replace belt or mechanical pulley drives on BP type mills. If I didn't already own a VFD I might be tempted just so I don't have to go through this again. Look how long it took me to get around to installing the VFD on my lathe. :rolleyes:

What's a Holo sight? Most sights are useless to me without my reading glasses, my Sigs have the glow in the dark night sights which work pretty well. I have Sig Elite Dark addiction, I own one in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP now.

I hear you on mods, I get sick of modifying machines trust me, I just want to use them not make a hobby out of wrenching on them. (Coolidge wanders off with Haas mill drool)

holographic sight. Similar to a red dot. Single plane sighting mechanism. Don't need to focus on two components. Just follow the bouncing ball...er...dot. :)

Wow, I would have thought a holo sight couldn't take the rough movement of the slide. When shooting a pistol don't even look at the rear sight, just the target and bring the front sight inline without taking your eyes off the target and fire. It is amazingly accurate.
Dave

Years ago they couldn't take the pounding. Now they can. Ain't technology great? :)

Back