Shop Door Security

Johnwright

Wannabe machinist
Registered
I'm fabricating a locking system for the doors on my new shop. I have two doors, each 36" wide creating a 6 ft. opening. My hope is to use 1/4" wall square tubing, one length sliding inside the other, across the 10 ft. span across the width of the building. My dilema is now how to fabricate a hasp, equal in strength to a hidden shackle lock ( Master #6270KA) that I have chosen to secure the two spans of tubing. Has anyone's tried to place some type of hardened metal (possibly a hacksaw blade or other item) between two 1/4" laminates of steel to make a (hopefully) hacksaw proof hasp? The lock is advertised as virtually impossible to access to cut since the shackle is recessed and it seems that the next weak link would be the hasp. Thanks, JohnWimage.jpg

Have you seen these? This one made by American Padlock. Master makes a very similar one.

Google "Security Hasp"

71qkDbHoXEL._SX466_.jpg

Is there that much crime in the Piney Woods of East Texas ?
My shop is on my property behind the house so between the dogs , lights and firearms I feel safe As insurance I hooked a big air horn to the shop compressor on a trip line that can't be turned off from inside of the shop.
I don't let strangers in my shop and conduct business in the front yard under a shade tree.
If you are in a high crime area get video surveillance.Mark all your tools and machines and make a inventory just in case.Also talk to your insurance company and make sure your covered.
Let's face it if someone wants it bad enough they will find a way to steal it.
***********Like the Boy Scouts say Be Prepared***********Gator**********

Is there that much crime in the Piney Woods of East Texas ?
My shop is on my property behind the house so between the dogs , lights and firearms I feel safe As insurance I hooked a big air horn to the shop compressor on a trip line that can't be turned off from inside of the shop.
I don't let strangers in my shop and conduct business in the front yard under a shade tree.
If you are in a high crime area get video surveillance.Mark all your tools and machines and make a inventory just in case.Also talk to your insurance company and make sure your covered.
Let's face it if someone wants it bad enough they will find a way to steal it.
***********Like the Boy Scouts say Be Prepared***********Gator**********

No Gator, not a lot of around here, but as a retired LEO I know that that I can't get complacent about theft or burglary. I had a reputation as a no nonsense cop, but after working many cases, I still haven't put all of them in jail. Yes, I have always been careful about who I let around my place and yet am aware that the next tweaker that passes by just might get curious about what he can steal. I learned that if a location simply appears hardened against entry, that same tweaker just might pass me by. Now, back to the question, can a hasp be laminated in some fashion to eliminate the chance that a battery powered (sawzall) hacksaw can remove the lock?

As a former police, I'm sure you know that locks only keep honest people out. There aren't many civilian doors made that can't be opened with sledge hammer or crowbar. A fireman's ax is a pretty good universal key, too.

Sometimes a heavily locked door just signals that something valuable is inside.

Put a piece of either hardened tool steel or a piece of 304 stainless steel inside your hasp. One can't be cut with a hacksaw and the other will harden up quickly so it can't be cut much at all. I did this for a customer that makes a locking mechanism for the kingpin for tractor trailers. You can drill into the iron casting but you can't get through the piece of stainless cast into it before you make the stainless steel almost impenetrable.

Case hardening is not that difficult to do and gives about as hard a surface as you can get on steel. Because the core is malleable, it is immune to hammer and chisel as well.
Since it is only a hasp and not a precision surface, you won't have to worry about surface finish. Casenite or Cherry Red are commercial products and there are a multitude of home brew recipes. Use an extended soak to maximize the case depth.
None of this precludes the use of an OA torch though.

Or hooking a chain on it and pulling the whole door out of the wall. The best you can do is just slow 'em down a bit and maybe make it difficult enough that the perps go elsewhere. Nothing short of 24/7, armed security will stop a a really determined crook.

Back