Sierra Nevada region massive snowfall

Well I guess this is a good time to introduce myself as I live in an area where we average 10-15' of snow during a regular winter.
Last year we had an above average year with over 25' here at the house.I am more concerned with the wind issues rather than the
snow as that is easier to deal with.
Have lived here for over 35 years after arriving from New Zealand and was a tool and diemaker back home before becoming a ski bum
and then traveling the world while meeting my wife and settling in Truckee CA.
4CB17E33-067A-479F-8F62-49A3376DCBED.jpeg

We're up to the job ! Bring it on . The lake effect snow from the lakes bring the same . Snow on the ground in July . :rolleyes:
I used to ski in Killington VT all season. At the end of the season I would go up and clean out some of the branches in the trees that would be low when the snow pack was in there. So that we could ski without losing our heads. You want to get it when you remember where they are. And it was often snow back in the day until June / July... Since I don't do that anymore I can't say, but it was getting to the point in the late 80s and early 90s that it was more rare. It was also freezing cold in Sept and Oct.. when we would clear out the new brush so that we could ski it earlier with less snow.

6-10 feet. Does it just sit there until summer? It's hard to imagine.

It can, some years Tioga Pass through Yosemite (@ 10,000 feet) doesn't open until June or July.

This winter has been weird. Massive dump due to lake effect and a couple inches of rain to melt it down the next week. Sump pumps have been good sellers this winter. I used my snow blower twice and the shovel twice. Unlike in 2014 it was snow upon snow for the whole season as the photos show what was still around at the end of April.
We had dandelions flowering early in February when normally there would be under the snow. Grass has been visible most of the winter.
Pierre

B49EE38C-8442-4B9A-A8C0-76270ACD27EC.jpeg592A0C77-77E8-40D2-9470-2C5D2E904C97.jpeg

For an update we are at 6'1" of snow since Friday at the house with it being Sunday evening and still snowing.
Interstate 80 has been closed since Friday and they mentioned on the news that 4.1 million dollars of freight
is transported every hour on a daily basis through this corridor.

I did the National Park Tour with my 4th grader last June. Couldn't get through Tioga pass as it was still closed, maybe more of a washout then snowpack. Anyways thought it would be good to drop into Mammoth and ski for the day. Asked about the conditions and the rental shop said icy, being from back east we thought oh well nothing more than a few sheets. Turns out the groomers were the frozen corrugated runs, and by lunch time I was pointing out the girls in their bikinis to my oblivious ten year old.

The hotel at the base had staging up supporting what must of been 3' thick beams that had cracked from the weight of the snow. I thought oh maybe it slide off the roof but nope nothing above it except skyline.

Well it's been a bit of a bust here in Shasta county. Up to yesterday (Sunday) morning we only had about 4 inches on the ground. It snowed pretty hard for a good part of the day, now we have about 10 in. I did get out and make a pass with the plow just in case it continued overnight, which it didn't. I hear they closed Lassen Park (north entrance just below 6000'), so it must have been heavy higher up. I really don't get the point, the road through the park is closed all winter about a mile above the entrance station anyway.

Back