Small hole gauges

snoopdog

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
Looking at different ones, and trying to wrap my head around the difference between half round and full round types. What do you use, and what can you do, or not do, with one or the other? They won't get used often, or I would have had a set already, so I certainly don't want 2 sets taking up space. Thanks ahead of time.

I'll post them if you are serious .

As to your question , there is no difference . The half rounds are possibly more accurate as there is less surface area measuring the bore .

I'll post them snoop . CHEAP ! If you don't like em , throw them out . Look below tomorrow . :big grin:

As to your question , there is no difference . The half rounds are possibly more accurate as there is less surface area measuring the bore .
Ok, thanks. I thought that maybe there was an issue with the halfs vs the full rounds at the bottom of a hole. Probably a trifling issue, just trying to learn. You have some?

Interesting question. I’ve not heard of half rounds, but will look. I have ”regular“ full round minus sets from 0.062-0.500. Don’t do much below a 1/16 and over I can measure with snap gauges - at least that’s the philosophy at the point. Use them more than I thought I would now that they are here. Can Catch pin sets on sale for reasonable. The over 1/2“ seem to be quite a bit more expensive, probably because there’s significantly more metal involved. Plus or minus was my debate vs full or half. Would be interesting to hear how others landed in that area.

half rounds allow you to get to the bottom of the hole to get a measurement.
I have full round Starrett, the Mitutoyo has half round as their standard as far as I know. I think the half round is superior for that ability, otherwise there is no need for a full round.

That's my opinion..

I think I was confused. You aren’t talking pins, you’re talking about the adjustable small hole gauges as a transfer tool -kind of like snap gauges only smaller and screw adjustable. The half round analysis seems plausible I have a set of Oldak, made in England (never heard of them either), that are inverted cone ie half round style I got from an old tool and die guy. Not used them much.

half rounds allow you to get to the bottom of the hole to get a measurement.
I have full round Starrett, the Mitutoyo has half round as their standard as far as I know. I think the half round is superior for that ability, otherwise there is no need for a full round.

That's my opinion..
Noted, TY.

Back