Small punch press - should I?

samthedog

Token Aussie
Registered
I have come across a small flywheel punch press. The owner will likely part with it for a fraction of the asking price as it has been sitting for a long time. Problem is... what on earth can I use it for? I always wanted one but not sure why. I imagined using one with a dimple die for making brackets etc... but I can't see needing it often. Given it's small size, it won't be able to handle heavy stock as I would guess it would be about a 2 ton (metric) press. Apparently it was used by a goldsmith and comes with a box of dies.

Anyway, pics below:

press 1.jpg
press 2.jpg

It's just so small and cute I want to need it. Am I sick???

Paul.

press 1.jpg press 2.jpg

well Paul---you didn't say what the price was and you didn't say that you satisfied your need---I would say you definitely need it for your shop---I have a small flywheel punch press so you should have one too---I think I paid $5 for mine so who could not need one to take up some space -----go for it if you haven't already----Dave

I would love to have a small press like that. It comes with some dies? Go for it, I'm sure you need it!

What would / do you guys use the press for? It will cost me substantially more than $5 - likely about 100 - 150 so I am trying to dream up a use for it. These baby punch presses don't come along often so I am curious about having one. To be honest a press brake would be a better investment but I am yet to find one at the right price.

Paul.

Paul--since he hasn't sold it for a long time--and you don't know any uses for it so far--then offer him $30 for it and if he says ok ---then you will find good uses for it---maybe it is worth $50 with all the dies----Dave

What would / do you guys use the press for? It will cost me substantially more than $5 - likely about 100 - 150 so I am trying to dream up a use for it. These baby punch presses don't come along often so I am curious about having one. To be honest a press brake would be a better investment but I am yet to find one at the right price.

Paul.

I'd pay the 150 for the pleasure of looking at it every day, LOL, you have the opportunity and if the funds won't hurt or harm the to tool budget go for it, the use will come along some day:))

Paul.

For $100 I'd be glad to just look at it until a need arose , maybe flatten some aluminium cans .....

Pro's:

Its metal.
Its old.
Its American made.
It works.
It has tooling!!!
Its a fraction of what it originally cost.
Its looks cool when you open your garage.
Its to small a stroke for your significant other to put your head in it.

Cons:

................................................. Still thinking, I'll have to get back to you.

C'mon,
Its a bloke/shed thing! Just do it. You know you want to

Cheers Phil

Back